how do you get your dog to take the dromol tablets

(19 Posts)
Sorcha1966 Wed 30-Apr-14 06:31:00

My 4 month old border collie will NOT take dromol, if i hide it in treats she manages to eject it, if i open her mouth and put it at the back of her throat she chokes dramatically until she has expelled it ...

any clever ideas ?

i gave my dog a tablet , dont think it was dromol, but it was quite large. i crushed it with spoons, mixed it with peanut butter, gave it to her in her bowl with some cheese and biscuits,
she licked the bowl clean.

Atbeckandcall Wed 30-Apr-14 06:37:34

Do you mean drontal tablets? Only asking because I don't know what dromol is?

basildonbond Wed 30-Apr-14 06:39:27

We use a pill crusher for the tablets my dad's elderly cat has to have every day - works fine

You can get drontal as a liquid too - much easier

saintmerryweather Wed 30-Apr-14 06:40:17

My dog will sometimes eat tablets if you quickly feed her delicious treats then offer her a tablet its gone beforw she knows it. She does get suspicious if you miss your chance though and starts refusing the food

Springcleanish Wed 30-Apr-14 06:41:56

Ours did the same, even if we crushed it into a fine powder she'd leave any dry food with even a crumb on.
We used to have to crush, mix with wet dog food and cheese and stuff in a kong.

fishybits Wed 30-Apr-14 06:49:09

As spring cleaning says crush and mix with some sort of wet food. We use pate or Primula cheese spread. If in a hurry then cut a pocket into a piece of sausage and put the pill inside it, if stinky enough it usually gets gulped down too quickly for the cunning fiend to notice .

Atbeckandcall Wed 30-Apr-14 06:50:17

Crushing and mixing it with something smelly and tasty it is the easiest way to get it them.

KatieKaye Wed 30-Apr-14 06:52:59

Put it in the middle of a ball of "plastic" cheese (processed cheese slice). give dog a couple of non-pill balls first, then the pill ball. Sausage meat works well for this too.

my mum used to put it in dog's mouth, hold her mouth shut and rub her throat.

SpicyPear Wed 30-Apr-14 09:25:05

My dog will not fall for any of the usual tricks so I gave up and she now has Panancur granules that I mix with her usual raw mince. It must be more palatable because she will happily eat this but not anything that's been within a country mile of a crushed Drontal tablet.

Atbeckandcall Wed 30-Apr-14 10:04:06

Actually that's a great idea. Panacur granules are virtually tasteless if you put them in the fridge first (some dogs and cats can still taste it but making them cold dampens the bitterness). Also depending on the dog I can work out cheaper. It's just as good btw.

Ephedra Wed 30-Apr-14 10:12:21

My dog is good at taking tablets but not capsules. I don't need to do anything with drontal as he just eats it. For other things I put them on top of his food and he sometimes eats it with his kibble or I cover it in something like a bit of peanut butter or some cheese.

Gooner123 Wed 30-Apr-14 10:40:52

I've had the same prob.with drontal,now I just open his mouth,put it in hold his head up & rub his throat,& it goes down a treat.

curiousgeorgie Wed 30-Apr-14 10:51:45

I wrap it in ham, and I feed my dog a few normal ham pieces first, then that one. It generally works!

SistersOfPercy Wed 30-Apr-14 11:12:14

My vets sell a pill giver which is essentially a syringe with a little clamp on the end. Put the pill in the clamp, open chops and fire grin

Before we lost our dog he was on 15 tablets a day so we were always coming up with new and ingenious ways to get them down him, I recall one day we'd been to Pizza Hut and saved the crusts to hide pills in. When we told the waitress why we were doing it she came back from the kitchen with loads of bits of pizza base which we then froze and defrosted as needed.

We also used Marmite (he wasn't as keen but works wonders for some dogs I believe), tesco value chicken slices (worked well for a week or two), beef paste, processed cheese.

Our current dog is much easier. I drop the pill on the floor and squirt Kong Stuffin over it. It's gone in seconds.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 30-Apr-14 13:08:54

Switch to milbemax fewer tablets for weight and the tasty ones the vast majority of dogs eat from your hand even in the vets surgery.

mistlethrush Wed 30-Apr-14 13:13:00

A curl of butter works a treat... Wraps round the pill - small curl before to prove that its not poisonous and then loaded one.

Jellified Sun 04-May-14 03:34:20

Marking this as I have a pill refuser. Definitely going to check alternatives to drontal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now