Raw feeders - did your dog noticeably 'detox' when you first started?

(15 Posts)
Nancery Mon 28-Apr-14 20:41:14

Tomorrow I will be properly starting my dog on the ward diet, after feeding her on commercial food up until now. She is very healthy and very lively slightly podgy border collie. I have just been reading about the detox that can also happen and some of it sounded quite horrible. I wondered if anyone had experience of this?
The page I got the info from was linked to the FB raw feeders group some people who fed the dogs are raw diet recommended to me on Mumsnet.

Also, obviously I will call the vet if something dramatic happens although hopefully it wouldn't!

Nancery Mon 28-Apr-14 20:41:57

RAW diet, not 'ward'! I was dictating into my iPad and it obviously misheard me!

No. He launched overnight from being a sloppy poo machine to tip top health. We didn't have any of the detox issues I have read about though he was 8 months so relatively young.

Nancery Mon 28-Apr-14 22:44:02

Sounds promising! Ours is 'fine' on the food she's on but reading about the potential detox effects does make me nervous!

LadyTurmoil Mon 28-Apr-14 22:46:55

I switched my foster dog to raw a few weeks after we'd got here and she had absolutely no problems with detox at all. She was straight into chomping chicken wings, carcasses, tripe etc. Biggest benefit were the smaller, firmer poos - so easy to pick up!

Nancery Mon 28-Apr-14 23:09:34

Fabulous!
Are you both very enthusiastic re raw feeding? I am guessing so!

I have to remind myself not to evalgalise too forcibly wink

Pandora452 Mon 28-Apr-14 23:26:00

No detox here either when I swapped 3 over smile

musicposy Tue 29-Apr-14 10:22:11

No problems here, two rescue dogs both 4 or 5 years old, have obviously been fed slop their whole lives, terrible teeth, appalling runny poo.
Within a day they had lovely firm poo and not a tummy upset since. They are learning what teeth are for too!

SpicyPear Tue 29-Apr-14 11:03:50

No issues here either when I switched mine. My older girl took a couple of weeks to start digesting all of it properly but it still came out as firm poos, just looking a bit more like it did when it went in than my other dog's!

We did. Ddog1 is 8 and had some runny eye issues, plus some very strange poos for a bit. Ddog2 who is 1 (and had not been on commercial food for as long) was fine with no problems at all.

Nancery Tue 29-Apr-14 20:35:15

She seemed a bit subdued and quickly lost interest in the chicken she was offered for breakfast earlier but after being taken for a 5 mike run wolfed the lot and now seems more relaxed than usual (she usually has that much exercise, actually more, only the diet has changed.)

A lot of people do comment that their dogs are a lot calmer...I had an 8 mnth old Border of the terrierist variety when I swapped over so I can't comment on that wink

BusyPA Wed 30-Apr-14 22:34:52

We swapped our 6 month old rescue straight over and apart from some scratching and moulting she was and is fine.

raw feeding for us is firmer and smaller poo, no more trumping, and a lot less moulting now smile

NCISaddict Fri 02-May-14 19:07:32

I changed my border collie straight to raw at 8 weeks old with no problems, everyone comments on how calm he is now at 9 months old, they always add 'especially as he's a border collie' I wonder why?grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now