dog loosing weight, food suggestions?

(5 Posts)
spinnergeologist Mon 28-Apr-14 20:04:34

We have a GSD cross who we got from the RSPCA 3 years ago. He is approximately 8 years old. We spent the first two years struggling to get him to eat. We finally moved him onto Burns food which he loved and wolfed down. After some trial and error we concluded that he was probably wheat intolerant and got bloated when he ate high wheat foods so then didn't feel hungry. Unfortunately when he is on the Burns he looses weight. We have tried increasing the portions past what he is meant to have but this doesn't seem to be working. We can't afford a much more expensive food than the Burns, any suggestions?

On a side note we have taken him to the vet but there appears to be nothing wrong apart from being a slobbery lump.

MitchellMummy Mon 28-Apr-14 21:57:44

Talk to the peeps at CSJ - helped us with our (now late) girl who couldn't put on weight.

Try Burns active food burnspet.co.uk/products/burns-for-dogs/dog-food-for-active-dogs.html or Simpsons www.simpsonspremium.com/adult-dog-food/adult-chicken-rice

My preference is Simpsons - Burns is well known for keeping dogs lean. Prices are similar and Simpsons may well send you a sample or two.

spinnergeologist Tue 29-Apr-14 19:32:04

Thanks, I will ask CSJ and look into Simpsons. It was actually the burns active he was on.

Floralnomad Tue 29-Apr-14 20:13:29

Might be worth looking at the Barking Heads range , my dog is very fussy and he loves it ,particularly the lamb variety. It is british ,wheat free and does seem to keep weight on dogs ,so much so that most people I know who feed it actually feed less than recommended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now