Wind - it's eye watering

(13 Posts)
Chumhum Thu 24-Apr-14 17:37:34

What can be done? Ddog1 is very windy but also a fussy eater so having found a food he likes I don't want to change it. He's a greyhound type lurcher and I suspect that chest is partly to do with it.

What can I do to either improve the frequency or aroma or just to stop my house stinking?

WeAllHaveWings Thu 24-Apr-14 19:38:42

only thing that stopped our lab was changing food. he may like the food he's on but it doesn't seem to like him! what food is he on, is it grain free?

unless you are maybe overfeeding? are his poos solid?

Owllady Thu 24-Apr-14 19:45:53

Buy some of those reed diffuser things grin
Blame any awful smells on children/other half
Hth x

Chumhum Fri 25-Apr-14 20:36:59

He isn't a great eater and underweight so not over fed, which is why having found a food that he actually eats I'm reluctant to change it. It's a good quality food made by our local pet suppliers, similar to James Welbeloved and is wheat free. I have read diffusers all over, but my God the smell ...

justtrunknotree Fri 25-Apr-14 20:39:43

My lurcher was like this and a raw diet has stopped the offensive wind completely.
Now for the husband ......

CMOTDibbler Fri 25-Apr-14 20:41:48

Unless my lurcher is on grain free, he smells awful. He decided he didn't like just dry food, so now he has a small amount of wet food mixed in with it, or a tin of pilchards/sardines and it gets wolfed down.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 25-Apr-14 22:32:56

Our lab was on skinners when we got him, we switched to a high protein grain free and he was still very smelly, then switched again to his current food and within 2 days he was smell free.

I would try a totally grain free food, if he still smells try other grain free foods with different protein sources (lamb, duck, etc) until you find one he likes and likes him!

SpicyPear Fri 25-Apr-14 23:41:22

I would also try grain free or, ideally, a raw diet. This completely ended the smelly wind one of my dogs used to have.

Chumhum Sat 26-Apr-14 09:01:08

I did try him on raw a while ago, thought I'd cracked it bought a cheapo second freezer on eBay and then he just refused to eat anything. I was getting frozen mixed packs and chicken wings and he rejected the lot. Ddog2 is influenced by him too, if he stops eating something then she does. Worse then kids!

SpicyPear Sat 26-Apr-14 09:15:02

How long before our cracked and gave him other food? smile

Chumhum Sat 26-Apr-14 17:36:32

Raw was a success for the first four weeks them a gradual refusal of chicken in particular I gave in after a couple of weeks of him refusing.

Chumhum Sat 26-Apr-14 17:37:13

Is it ok to mix raw with kibble? I could try raw for the second meal of the day?

WeAllHaveWings Sat 26-Apr-14 20:50:49

If there's something in his current kibble that's causing the wind it could reduce it, but I imagine not totally eradicate it.

Is current kibble completely grain free or just wheat free? What proteins are in it? Our lab always got smelly with fish like herring/mackerel in kibble s, but surprisingly ok with salmon. All trial and error.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now