Alaskan malamute rescue needs our help

(8 Posts)

Over the last few days a large number of Alaskan Malamutes have been dumped in rescue in England and Northern Ireland by the same breeder angry

These dogs are in an awful state and the already stretched rescue organisations need all the help they can get sad

More details here www.malamuterescue.org.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/MalamuteMatters
www.benvardinkennels.com/

Sorry for what is essentially a begging post but this is very close to my heart - I have a much loved 6 1/2 year old Mally girl and she could have ended up in this position as I have found out that the breeders we got her from as a pup are the same people that have dumped all these poor dogs angry angry angry sad

SpicyPear Wed 23-Apr-14 17:59:18

I find your post odd - everyone who bought a puppy from these people has funded and encouraged this vile cruelty.

I don't know what you find odd?

We got our dog in 2007 after researching the breed, we visited the breeders and met their dogs who were all clean and well cared for and had had all the relevant medical tests (hip scores etc) I had no concerns about the welfare of any of their dogs and if I had I would not have purchased a puppy from them

Obviously circumstances have changed for them since 2007 resulting in dogs being dumped in a poor state who need help

The rescues and kennels involved have been appealing for help and I posted in the hope that maybe some people reading this would be able to provide some assistance

I have donated to them myself but I'm sure that any additional help - be that donations or fostering or anything else would be very welcome

I most certainly have not encouraged cruelty as you so kindly stated sad

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Wed 23-Apr-14 21:36:54

Cant help out but i do love those dogs. They are a bonkers type breed :D

SpicyPear Wed 23-Apr-14 22:14:58

Well if what you're saying that previously reputable breeders have become unethical puppy farmers since you purchased your pup, I apologise. I was a bit shocked that someone would own up to buying a dog from breeders with so many dogs kept in terrible condition who are breeding 10 month olds.

tabulahrasa Wed 23-Apr-14 22:38:20

If it's the one I heard about last week - and I hope it is or there's two of them...it was a fairly well known Mal breeder in the showing world who just suddenly went off to America taking only a handful of dogs and it was only after they'd gone that all these other ones were discovered and it came as a bit of a shock.

As in, I know people involved in showing Mals who were shocked as they either knew the breeder or knew of them - so I'd imagine to a puppy buyer a few years ago, they may well have seemed like decent people.

Dontwanttobeyourmonkeywench Wed 23-Apr-14 22:48:11

One is my local kennel where I got my Akita boy and it breaks my heart to see the shape of the dogs sad I have donated and have put myself down to help out with walks etc.

SpicyPear when we got our pup they had around 5 adult dogs plus the litter of puppies and we met and interacted with all the dogs and they seemed happy and healthy and just lovely friendly dogs with owners who seemed to genuinely love them. I've really struggled with the fact that they were able to leave their dogs in such an awful condition

tabulahrasa yes we are talking about the same people sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now