considering miniature dachshund....help

(6 Posts)
mrssprout Wed 23-Apr-14 11:21:06

We are considering getting a miniature dachshund & I am looking for some words of wisdom from people with experience. All the things I have read seem to contradict each other. I have had a bit of a look around to find breeders & I am not rushing in to anything. Does anyone have any advise on things to look out for or problems I may not have thought of??

mistlethrush Wed 23-Apr-14 11:22:34

There is a lady near where I live with 3. You can hear them coming in the park - I don't know how she copes (I would have to get earplugs) they yap in a very high pitched way ALL THE WAY ROUND. Quite what they're like in the house I don't know - but the walks would drive me bonkers!

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 23-Apr-14 12:58:23

Get insurance very short legs long back is always an expensive combination.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Wed 23-Apr-14 17:22:20

My parents have a dachshund. He is the hound from hell. Extremely stubborn to train and still pisses in the house.
However they've not in my opinion trained him well.

noddingoff Wed 23-Apr-14 22:45:16

insure the daylights out of it or start saving for spinal surgery now. If you could not bear the thought of the rehab needed post spinal surgery, don't get one. If you do get one, don't let it get fat (being slim won't stop it getting back problems but makes rehab easier).

antimatter Wed 23-Apr-14 22:47:16

read up a lot about their personalities
getting training wrong would be hard to reverse (word from my friend.....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now