Oh help, please!

(20 Posts)
PeanutPatty Fri 25-Apr-14 07:10:25

Don't get a sleeve muzzle as the dog won't be able to pant. A box type one is best.

saintmerryweather Fri 25-Apr-14 06:50:04

Your buildings insurance might cover this as you have 3rd party liability cover included. Might be worth chevking?

Floralnomad Thu 24-Apr-14 23:31:32

Glad that it has appeared to turn out relatively well .

Krustyandthekids Thu 24-Apr-14 23:15:00

A little update - the other dog is fine, a puncture wound and bruising but at least nothing more than that thank goodness! Bit of a shock for all concerned but especially them! Big vet bill to be settled which we are trying to do through our insurance but have also asked MIL to look at hers. Feels a bit wrong though as she was looking after him as a favour.

Anyway, let's see what happens as we are totally skint! Thank goodness owners seem reasonable and although they have reported it to the police it doesn't seem it will need to go any further! Phew. Muzzle for our mutt purchased and watching him closely!

Thanks for all the advice and listening ears x

everlong Wed 23-Apr-14 16:08:37

" he's such a well mannered little dog and very happy and approachable "

I'm not sure the owners of the chihuahua would agree.

Awful for them. I hope their dog pulls through.

Floralnomad Wed 23-Apr-14 15:57:02

Any news on the other dog krusty ?

Krustyandthekids Tue 22-Apr-14 22:19:30

Thanks Floral, have insurance docs here ready to call in the morning and I would report I think so will expect it but thanks for the prompt!

Floralnomad Tue 22-Apr-14 22:15:34

I don't mean to make your worries worse, but don't be surprised if you get reported ,if I were the other owner ,irrespective of the outcome I would want to ensure that something appropriate was done about the offending dog . By which I mean an actual enforcement of a muzzle and being kept on a lead. If I were you I would contact the insurance company as soon as poss and seek their advice on how to proceed.

Krustyandthekids Tue 22-Apr-14 22:05:27

You're right Saint, will take him to vet for a check over. Will also speak to DH about getting a muzzle. I can't imagine how the other couple must be feeling but I totally don't want this to happen again.

SpicyPear Tue 22-Apr-14 22:02:55

I should have been clearer - I wasn't suggesting he'd been worked. I have a Patterdale mix who has never been worked and is a fab pet too, but generally speaking their breed tendency is to be alert and game rather than a laid back dog that can be left to potter.

saintmerryweather Tue 22-Apr-14 22:01:39

It could just be a one off, but if it were my dog I'd take him to the vet to make sure there was no underlying medical problem (unlikely since you said hes had a great week and behaved impeccably) and if that didn't show anything up I take him out on lead and see how he behaves then. I would probably look into consulting an experienced behaviourist. I might even go so far as to muzzle him on walks if he's to be off lead - if he had to be prised off the other dog, that was a serious attack and I would take it seriously (not saying you wont!)

Krustyandthekids Tue 22-Apr-14 21:55:26

I know Saint.

My MIL is older and was sitting on a dune apparently. He wasn't that far away but was behind her so she didn't realise. I think mine bit once but didn't let go.

Krustyandthekids Tue 22-Apr-14 21:39:17

Yes, you're right, he should have been on the lead but the fact is that he wasn't and there's nothing I can do about that now... he's not a working terrier by any means - has never dug/ragged/chased anything down and is a wonderful pet.

She did, indeed, apologise profusely and we all feel terrible for the other owners.

I just can't believe it. He's never been agressive to other dogs before. Gutted sad

saintmerryweather Tue 22-Apr-14 21:37:32

oh my god that poor little Chihuahua. exactly how far had your dog "pottered" before you MIL arrived on the scene? Long enough for your dog to have had a go at the other dog twice and been pulled off it?

SpicyPear Tue 22-Apr-14 21:34:01

Well the insurance should care of the vet bill.

But really your MIL has been completely irresponsible allowing him off lead without proper supervision and allowing him to approach, let alone attack, an on lead dog. All dogs should be under proper supervision and control off lead, especially a game working terrier. I would be grovelling in apology to the owners of the other dog.

Krustyandthekids Tue 22-Apr-14 21:26:34

Yes we have insurance and will look at that and you're right Littlefish, I feel bad for the people with the Chihuhua too... It must have been really horrid.

No idea about the state of the little thing - didn't sound great TBH when MIL spoke to DH earlier. We also don't have the owner's number to call them, they only have my DH's number so we are waiting for them to call. Terrible situation all round.

Littlefish Tue 22-Apr-14 21:22:02

Those poor people with the Chihuhua.

SpicyPear Tue 22-Apr-14 21:20:39

Do you not have third party insurance in place for your dog?

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 22-Apr-14 21:20:33

Are you insured? Is the other dog likely to live? sad

Krustyandthekids Tue 22-Apr-14 21:19:13

My little terrier has been in a fight :-(

My MIL has had him for the week while we were away and has been staying at the seaside with him. Today, while she was sitting admiring the view, he was pottering about (off the lead) and the next thing she knew, he was was being pulled off a chiwawa(?sp). By the time my MIL got there, apparently, he had approached the little dog (who was on the lead) and had a go at it. Then got it in his mouth (he's a patterdale) and had to be forcably removed. The little dog is in intensive care with a punctured lung. Oh god!!!!

He's such a well mannered little dog and very happy and approachable. They have had a lovely week playing with lots of other dogs this week and all has been fine. I feel so sorry for my MIL having to deal with it all but am really worried that we will have to pay for the vets bills and we are totally skint!! Bloody hell!!!

Sorry for the long post - no DH here as he's now driven to seaside to get our dog back :-(

AAAGGGHHHH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now