Vet fees, ouch

(11 Posts)
MaryShelley Sun 20-Apr-14 21:09:21

Dear dax has just been in for dental work.

Pre op bloods, 4 back teeth extracted, clean and scale, collected by the end of the day, pain relief and antibiotics.

£490 yes, £490! Had been expected more in the region of £300-350. Anyway I've paid and dog is happy :-)

How do I know if fees are reasonable. Next time treatment is needed, should I consider 'shopping around'? for prices?

Aked Sun 20-Apr-14 22:08:24

Sounds very reasonable to me. Extracting teeth, particularly back molars is no mean feat if done properly. Plus there was the anaesthetic, monitoring of the anaesthetic etc. A lot of work goes into these procedures that isn't necessarily itemisedsmile Did he have xrays too?

I suppose it depends on your area and your individual practice, but that would be a fairly cheap dental at mine!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 20-Apr-14 22:45:31

That would be a top wack dental in my practice. I always offer estimates for clients when I book an animal in so they know exactly what the costs are likely to be and your vet will not be surprised if you ask for one.
For the time they take dentals are easily the lowest cost item per minute in vets practices, difficult to remove teeth can take considerable time to remove.

MaryShelley Mon 21-Apr-14 08:24:53

Thanks. I had asked for an estimate and had been told £310. Which is why it was a bit of a shock! Although, more teeth were removed than originally discussed. No X-rays.

I will ask for a bit more of a breakdown I think so I know about x rays etc.

I'm quite sure it's not a quick easy job. But my boy is worth it! (And his teeth now look amazing :-))

Booboostoo Mon 21-Apr-14 08:46:47

You can ask for an estimate and a break down of costs so that you know that you are comparing like for like. Having said that I prefer to possibly pay a bit more on the odd occassion but have the advantage of seeing the same, experienced vet who knows my dog and can follow his care through the years, than to possibly save a bit of money by shoping around.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 21-Apr-14 09:17:46

Mary in this situation in my practice at the very least you would have had a call from the vet after the procedure to explain to you why it was more expensive, but in general our protocol is to phone as soon as we discover it is going to be more expensive to check you are comfortable with the additional expense.
Our till receipt itemises everything so when you pay you get an itemised bill.
So I think you are entirely right to enquire why it was considerably more expensive that you expected. I have to say I always estimate worse case scenario and explain this to my client so that if we don't have to do as much work it is a 'nice surprise'.

MaryShelley Mon 21-Apr-14 11:16:10

Thanks. I will ask for itemisation. I just paid up and got the hell out with sleepy dog and two wild kids.

Aked Mon 21-Apr-14 14:14:10

^^ What lonecat said. Our vet will also call if it looks like the account is going to go over estimate, such as taking a longer time, more teeth than expected to come out etc. Also everything is broken down on the itemised account at the end, so this should be available for you.

Owllady Tue 22-Apr-14 10:31:24

I had this last year with one of mine. We were quoted 500 and it was over 600. It was because she was under for longer than they expected and they took more teeth out. You will notice the difference in your dog if his teeth have been mithering him for a whole. My girl had a new lease if life!

MaryShelley Tue 22-Apr-14 18:48:21

Yes! He is like a new man. We had put the lethargy down to old age (11) but he has been full of beans since. Bet didn't pick it up at annual check up in December though. Only when dog presented with a cheek absess last wk.

Owllady Tue 22-Apr-14 19:02:09

That is what happened with ours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now