How often do dogs pee?

(17 Posts)
Ludoole Sat 26-Apr-14 02:28:25

Mine pees for England on his walks... every flipping corner!
However if its raining, he will wait and wait and wait.
He hates the rain and I have to literally lift him off the step for a quick wee in the garden (and then he often runs straight back in...)

Definitely cant walk him in the rain as he sits down and refuses to move... Oh and hes a 5 and a half pound yorkie....

They're all different EasterBunny, as long as he is given the opportunity to pee regularly then that's the main thing smile

EasterBunnyFuntStoleAllTheEggs Fri 25-Apr-14 12:58:35

Oh he pees a few times every afternoon and evening too, usually his last wee is around 9-10pm. No idea how many a day that is though. Usually his first morning one goes on for ages, then he'll do one or two small ones before he does a poo. Then his pees on a walk are small but frequent.

haggisaggis Fri 25-Apr-14 12:14:41

My 8 month old pup generally goes out at bedtime - around 1030 - and then out again in the morning around 0700 - 0730 - and then every 3 hours or so through the day. However he seems happy to pootle around the garden sniffing for AGES before actually getting on with the deed (our garden's not dog proof so need to be out there with him). I walked round the garden with him for about 45 mins the other night and he still hadn't peed - so took him back in and that was him for the night - and the next morning he still didn't go straight to pee but had a good wander round first. (wish I had his bladder control!)

We seem to be doing ok, I've added a quick walk round the block first thing so he gets to pee before the mid morning walk so now there's about 9 hours overnight which is the longest spell.

That should read how would you like it only being allowed to pee twice a day.

You've gotta be careful making them hold it for too long as they can end up incontinent. My other half's mum had a dog and regularly made it hold its bladder for a long time and it ended up incontinent at 7 years old. The vet said it was because it's bladder weakened due to being too full all the time.

Think about it - how would you only be allowed to pee twice a day?!

EasterBunnyFuntStoleAllTheEggs Fri 25-Apr-14 08:55:01

Mine pees a couple of times in the garden first thing in the morning, and then every few metres on a walk. He does have a cast iron bladder though, I once overslept really badly when DD was still a baby, she'd kept me up most of the night. Ended up not walking up until 12pm blush the dog had held it for 17 hours shock and even then he didn't seem that bothered about going out!

DowntonTrout Wed 23-Apr-14 08:41:18

My dogs will pee at every corner, lamppost, bit of grass etc and every few yards on a walk. They have access to the garden all day and I'm not sure how often they pee out there.

They go all night without a pee and I can leave them in, all day occasionally, and they rarely pee in the house. What I have noticed is when we come in, or when we get up in the morning, boy dog takes a really big drink of water, so I think that he doesn't drink while we are out.

overthemill Wed 23-Apr-14 08:37:19

The garden has to be kept clean and tidy as if it was their bed. It's part if their den. Our dog won't poo in garden and only does a wee if desperste. He weed on his 2 walks a day. Cast iron bladders!

Well Eric has definitely decided that the garden isn't good enough to pee in and so pees only on his walks. I'll have to make sure I can fit in a quick scoot around the block before taking dd to school next week as I'd generally walk him after the school run don't want him to have to wait 11 hours overnight really.

My labrador bitch thinks she is a boy and "scent marks" every 10 metres in a field! During the day at home I leave the door open in summer and she probably goes out to pee every couple of hours or so. In winter when the door is closed I will let her into the garden every 3 hours or so. She does drink loads though, she won't just have a slurp she drinks the entire bowl. In the night she goes from 10pm til about 7am and is often left for 4 hours when I'm at work or college so she can hold it, she just likes to pee!

SteveBrucesNose Mon 21-Apr-14 09:56:38

BoyDog does 3 racehorse wees per day - one in the morning, one when I get home from work, and one on evening walkies. GirlDog does about 3,968 small wees throughout the day. Same breed, same age, same access to water and waz-facilities.

I have a feeling Eric is going to be like your dog then Diddl. He happily goes from 10pm until 7am or 8am this morning which I think is quite a long time for a pup.

diddl Sun 20-Apr-14 21:01:43

Our dog doesn't like to wee in the garden.

He has three walks a day-long, medium & short.

Last walk usually about 9pm,

Sometimes in the morning he won't be bothered about going out until 11!

basildonbond Sun 20-Apr-14 14:30:41

I think it depends on the dog - dpup appears to have an iron bladder - this morning I overslept and didn't go downstairs to let him out until nearly 9 - he was fine (obviously hadn't needed to wake me up) and although he ran straight out into the garden to do a poo he didn't actually need to wee until after he'd come back in to do his usual morning wiggle and cuddle

However I'm dog sitting my sister's dog this weekend and she pees every few minutes out on walks and asks to go out a lot more often as well

Eric's nearly four months now and in the last week or so seems to pee on his walks and rarely in the garden. Is this normal?
He has access to water at all times and has three short walks a day and generally pees twice on each walk and once in the garden when he gets up. This morning he wouldn't pee in the garden but brought me his harness for an early walk most likely because he needed a poo (he does all poos on walks) He can go into the garden whenever he wants and knows to bark to be let out.
It's now five hours since last pee but will expect him to pee when we go walking in the next ten minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now