Dog-proofing garden and neighbours chickens

(7 Posts)
Hoppinggreen Sun 20-Apr-14 19:26:56

Next doors Labradoodle almost killed one of Fil's chickens on Friday after jumping a 4 ft fence.
Wouldn't get a dog off Gumtree in any case.

hairypaws Sun 20-Apr-14 09:44:04

Proper breeder or rescue centre. I think the wire fences will need covered because most dogs will get to excited watching through fence and bark their heads off. A standard 6 foot fence should do it, but do it all round the garden. We have a cocker with a completely enclosed garden with 6 foot fence. I think some dogs will jump that though, thankfully not mine.

basildonbond Sun 20-Apr-14 09:39:42

Definitely 6' fencing - we're looking after my sister's springer at the moment and she can clear 3' with ease and often springs up as high as my shoulders (I'm 5'7") and you'd need the dog not to be able to see the chickens otherwise they'd be in torment every time they went into the garden!

And definitely a 'no' to rehoming from gum tree or pets4homes or Facebook for all the reasons given already

Booboostoo Sun 20-Apr-14 09:34:41

Chickens next door should not be a problem, just put in a decent fence and thing about dogs that are able to dig under it as well. You'd be better off with a solid fence so that the dog can't even see the chickens.

Be very weary of private 'rescues'. A lot of them are looking to make money, others are looking to off-load a problem dog, you may not be told the truth about the dog's background and issues and you won't get any backup and help. Go to an established rescue that will take the time to listen to your requirements and match you with the right dog. If you know the breed you want go to a breed specific rescue. If you want to avoid a dog that's spent time in kennels try a smaller rescue that uses fosterers.

Owllady Sun 20-Apr-14 08:54:44

Yes, go to a proper rescue centre. You need good fencing all round (ours is filled in with chicken wire in places) but having chickens next door shouldn't stop you having a dog!

tabulahrasa Sun 20-Apr-14 00:24:34

Most springer sized dogs can jump a 3 foot fence, with chickens on the other side I'd be putting in 5 or 6 foot and something that they won't be able to see chickens through.

Avoid gumtree - unfortunately people are not at all honest about why dogs are being rehomed, a rescue will be able to match the right dog with you and provide support if there are any issues afterwards.

PatsysDouble Sat 19-Apr-14 22:27:52

Hello!

At some point in the next year or so, we'd love to get a dog, most likely rehoming one from an RSPCA centre or similar.

I'm thinking how to dog-proof our garden at the moment. Dog-size wise, I guess a medium sized dog (springer/cocker spaniel ish).

Our neighbours have chickens and we have a roughly 3ft wire fence between us and the chickens. Trees at the back, but easy for a dog to get through, then 6ft fences elsewhere.

Is it crazy to think of a dog with chickens in the next garden?

What height fencing would you go for with a medium sized dog?

Would wire fencing be ok, or are wooden panels necessary? Not ideal with trees at the back.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

While I'm here, is it mad to look at dogs on gumtree? I was having a brief look and came across a lovely looking cocker spaniel. Apparently with all paper work, needing a new home due to change in living arrangements. Gut feel is that a proper rescue centre is a safer bet.

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now