Dog and pup scary playing

(9 Posts)
OnaPromise Sat 19-Apr-14 19:34:47

We have a 13 wk old pup and an adult ex racing greyhound. He is extremely patient and puts up with all sorts of pup shenanigans. Bit every morning they do this mad scary running around where he pins her down with his mouth at her throat. He jumps away if she squeals and stops if I tell him. Meanwhile she keeps coming at him for more! Him being the breed he is, it's the spec of it that freaks me out and the size difference. Don't want to stop them playing but...

OnaPromise Sat 19-Apr-14 19:35:35

But every morning, not bit every morning

OnaPromise Sat 19-Apr-14 19:36:25

Speed of it, damn phone

Boudica1990 Sat 19-Apr-14 23:55:07

My tow do this they are crazy in the morning, it often involves circuits round the dining room table followed by "rough play". My issue is the other way round though my older fog is the smaller one a cocker spaniel and the puppy is twice his size a Rhodesian Ridgeback!!

I stop it when I feel it's too rough or one may get hurt, but other than that I persuade them in to the garden and let them crack on. Sounds like your older dog knows not to hurt her so I would just keep a watchful eye on it so nobody gets hurt. That's all I do to be honest.

You can stop it if you wish through training and distraction, but if like me your happy to keep an eye on it then do just that.

Boudica1990 Sat 19-Apr-14 23:58:35

I'll just add puppy is now 9months old, and there play has never resulted in a injury. They have had one scrap that was brought to a swift end and separation till both dogs had calmed down and that was about 3months ago over a ball that dropped treats as it rolled. The ball has now been confiscated!!

It's normal. It's often really loud too - lots of growling and dog chat.

It's what dogs do and how they play, learn manners, bite inhibition etc, etc,etc. Big dog is teaching baby dog 'dog stuff'. A useful rule of thumb is if one of them doesn't go back for more, they're not enjoying it and it has turned nasty.

You could insist they play madly outside? It's going to get worse before it gets better, if that helps? wink

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Sun 20-Apr-14 12:10:07

We've got an 8 week old lab bitch and a 2 yr old Goldie dog. They do this every morning. I monitor closely and if it gets out of hand it stops.

NCISaddict Sun 20-Apr-14 12:21:09

We had this when I looked after my sisters 3 year old for three weeks when mine was 10 weeks + old. The noise was horrific but the bonus was that mine now speaks 'dog' and never nips. He was taught bite inhibition brilliantly.

OnaPromise Sun 20-Apr-14 16:49:35

Thanks all for reassurance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now