Is there a sort of 'central' website where rescue dogs are 'advertised'?

(15 Posts)
MaryShelley Mon 14-Apr-14 19:31:17

My parents are after a new rescue dog. Well aware though that the offerings of their local centre may not necessarily be the best type of dog for them. Mow during if there is a way of seeing dogs slightly further afield. Not even sure where to find a list of all smaller rescue centres.

Owllady Mon 14-Apr-14 19:38:56

Do they know what they have in mind? If so I would go for specific breed rescues and travel (most will have homeowners around the country even if they are elsewhere) google

I can't help you whether there is a database though, sorry

Ludways Mon 14-Apr-14 19:40:41

Most breeds have their own rescue clubs too, if they have a particular breed they can search for them.

Jubelteen Mon 14-Apr-14 19:42:54
MaryShelley Mon 14-Apr-14 19:44:41

They are after a x breed - but parson jack russell type.

They are prepared to travel but didn't know where to travel to!

PootlePoseysMa Mon 14-Apr-14 20:06:45

Hi Mary, I am a volunteer fosterer for Many Tears Animal Rescue. Although the rescue is based in Wales there are hundreds of fosterers all over England, Scotland and Wales. Maybe have a look at the web site - type in your parents postcode and enter a search for a 25 mile radius and see which dogs come up. If there are no JRs within your/their area the have a look at all the dogs available, contact the Rescue and see if if could be moved to a fosterer local to you. I will put the link here www.manytearsrescue.org/dogslookingforhomes.php

Scroll down the page to the drop down boxes and enter your postcode - or alternatively in the dogs available drop down box then change the search number from 10 to 100 and then have a look at all the dogs and puppies currently needing forever homes. At the moment there are over 230 dogs/pups either at the Rescue or in a foster home. :-)

Hi....another reccomendation for ManyTears! We got our two dogs from there, both Jack Russells!

PootlePoseysMa Mon 14-Apr-14 20:22:11

Hi BreadandJam - lovely to read your message :-). I recently fostered 3 little 8 week old JR pups (Cosy, Cobble and Caper - I think if you type into Google - Many Tears Cosy or Many Tears Cobble or Many Tears Caper they will still come up - although they are all adopted now :-)
Fabulous rescue - I love fostering with them :-)

PootlePoseysMa Mon 14-Apr-14 20:27:27

Yes - it does work - I just typed into Google what I said above and they all still came up (along with the photos of my daughters, rabbits & guinea pigs :-)

MothershipG Mon 14-Apr-14 20:31:59
spiderlight Mon 14-Apr-14 20:34:12
samsam123 Mon 14-Apr-14 20:46:26

I follow on facebook Galgos del Sol rescuing greyhound type dogs in Spain there are so many thrown out after the hunting season take a look as they really need help in re homing. I know there are also many in this country but have a little look

MaryShelley Mon 14-Apr-14 20:51:24

Wow thanks all

Hi again, sorry i did not have time to write a long reply earlier. We got our two dogs (my mum got hers, and then a year later we got ours - and now we live together) from Many Tears who are fantastic. The dogs are all vetted and MT are honest in the write-ups about dogs who needs adult only homes, can't walk on a lead yet, etc. They have been spayed/neutered, vet checked, had all worming tablets, vaccinations, etc. The people who do the home checks are great, very friendly, and you can ask for any advice or questions you may have. Also, when we picked up my dog, they advised we brought mum's dog with us so they could be properly introduced...they are now best friends!

My mum's dog is older, maybe 12 now and hates cats as predicted! He was obviously well looked after before ending up in a kennel in Ireland. My boy is younger, 3 1/2 now and is growing into a wonderful dog. He was very timid and not used to being inside, he would only eat under the coffee table and had a liking for scraps in chip papers! Both dogs are wonderful, and we would go back to Many Tears without hesitation.

Owllady Tue 15-Apr-14 12:45:09

Mmmmm quavers grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now