Can you recommend a calm small/medium breed for my Autistic son pls.

(22 Posts)
Skivvysue Sun 13-Apr-14 17:17:06

We have decided now we have been with out a dog for too long. We lost out lovely Tibetan terrier to cancer 5 years ago.
Our little boy is 4 and has Autiam but loves dogs. I just think we need something Calmish. Any suggestions. I like the Westie

JugglingChaotically Sun 13-Apr-14 17:26:11

I can see why you would like calm but don't rule out spaniels. Our cocker - who is as bouncy as they are - is adorably sweet with Dc3.
And with the elderly. And so family orientated. Gives back lots as v responsive.

gamerchick Sun 13-Apr-14 17:28:44

Would you qualify for a specially trained dog.. I'm pretty sure they train service dogs to include autism.

hairypaws Sun 13-Apr-14 17:31:44

I second a cocker. Mine is so calm and loads of folk used to comment on how they were surprised as to how calm a pup she was. She was wild when a baby but when she hit 6 months there was a massive difference. She was chosen specifically by breeder for her calmness as we have 2 children and a good breeder will find the perfect match for your family.

Be aware there are two types of cocker, show and worker. Workers tend to need much more exercise and mental stimulation as they are bred specifically for their working ability whereas show are bred for the showring and their coats (which I keep very short btw).

MinesaMess Sun 13-Apr-14 17:33:47

No breed is guaranteed to be calm. You can easily get 2 pups from the same litter with completely different personalities, bit like children!
Probably better to get an older dog with a known personality.
A specially trained dog would be ideal if that's an option.

affafantoosh Sun 13-Apr-14 17:38:00

I would look at a cavalier in your situation, but take care to find a good breeder.

Hopeoverexperience Sun 13-Apr-14 17:41:21

I second the recommendation for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel --- wonderful little dogs fab with children.

Owllady Sun 13-Apr-14 20:28:43

We have always had border collies with our severely autistic daughter
Who'd have thought it blush I think it depends on your child though
I would have thought it might be better getting s rescue dog in your situation so the temperament and personality is already known, to a degree

Skivvysue Sun 13-Apr-14 20:40:01

We live in Ireland and the waiting list for Assistance dogs has been closed for over a year so we aren't pinning our hopes on that. My Father trained Army dogs for a living and can help me
With obedience (although his daily care would be a little strict for me) so I'd be happy to look at the local pound. Will also look at the spaniels hadn't even looked at them. Thank u all for ur help. Xx

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 13-Apr-14 20:50:46

I have an Autistic son, now 10, and a Cavalier King Charles spaniel. I had two when DS was born. They're fantastic with him. They just wag their tails and tilt their heads waiting for him to do what ever it is he will do. If he's having a melt down our latest one has an ability to find a way of snuggling up to him and even though his legs might still be kicking his hand might be gently patting or even stroking (not always the right way).

Occasionally his behaviour towards the dog(s) has been inappropriate - being to firm, dropping them, hitting out and they get caught in the cross fire. I do realise that its my job to prevent this but actually i can't be a helicopter 24/7. I have as much faith as you can in a dog that they won't turn round and snap.

Our latest has a bed tucked away on the upstairs landing by a small radiator and the DC have an understanding if she's there you leave her alone.

He can walk her with us because she doesn't pull him over. It also gives him a purpose to walk - without purpose why walk after all!

I think I read something from the NAS about specially trained dogs for Autistic children. I don't know if thats something that would be worth investigating.

Owllady Sun 13-Apr-14 22:14:32

The therapy dog at my dd's sld school is a standard poodle
I think nuttymutty knows about assistance dogs. They are in short supply though from my understanding

Pagwatch Sun 13-Apr-14 22:25:23

My son has quite sever ASD and is quite sensitive.
We have two dogs, a huge old English sheepdog and a tiny bischon frise

My son adores the old English and, after two years, remains wary of our bischon.
The old English is easy to spot and never slides under his peripheral vision. He is not jumpy, yappy or unpredictable. I would always chose a big dog for ds2

HoneyBadgerPersonified Sun 13-Apr-14 22:31:09

We have a Cavachon (Cavalier cross Bichon Frise) - she is very sweet natured, even as a puppy and good with kids. She's a large small (if that makes sense) and her fur is supposed to be hypo allergenic if that's any use to you.

Owllady Sun 13-Apr-14 22:43:10

Yes pagwatch, my friend has a Newfoundland which is amazing with my dd (and gorgeous to boot smile)

Pagwatch Sun 13-Apr-14 22:44:07

Yy - the gorgeous is a big plus grin

basildonbond Mon 14-Apr-14 04:39:26

Ds2 has high-functioning ASD and hates change so the first few months with our puppy were quite a challenge for him. However now he's got used to him and thinks he's lovely - tries to get him to do tricks and it's the only way I can get ds to go for a walk

It helps that dpup is very calm for a puppy and is a medium breed (Toller) so big enough to be proper dog sized but not too big to knock him over or be scared of

I have a son and a dd with autism, we have just got Eric who is a poodle/shih tzu cross. He's a smart little thing and has sensed from the off to be gentle around ds so whilst he steals all our shoes and socks he never bothers ds but instead sits at his feet and waits for him to stroke him. Ds wasn't keen on dogs but Eric makes him smile and he's happy to take him a walk with dh.

VilootShesCute Mon 14-Apr-14 22:53:02

My daughter was autistic spectrum, our Cavalier was and is beyond amazing. Lovely calm dogs get a black and tan, they're the bestest :-)

basildonbond Tue 15-Apr-14 04:17:14

Forgot to add - ds is v sensitive to noise so it was important we didn't have a yappy dog - dpup's breed is a very quiet one on the whole (apart from the couple of instances when we've heard the Toller scream ...)

moosemama Tue 15-Apr-14 08:37:02

I have an twelve year old ds who has ASD and two big Lurchers. The older Lurched is Saluki/Deerhound x Whippet/Border Collie and is the calmest, gentlest lad. Our other boy is still a pup, 10 months old and ds is totally smitten with him. Both dogs are calm and quiet in the house, but enjoy a good game and will happily play when we want them to. I'd second what others have said about a larger, calm dog definitely being best for D's.

Bubble2bubble Tue 15-Apr-14 11:32:33

Irish Cavalier Rescue may be able to help you

LocalEditorWiganandSalford Tue 15-Apr-14 12:17:20

Our friend has a whippet and dd adores it, its very calm and quiet and lazy, loves cuddles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now