what to do with poop

(23 Posts)
nellieellie Fri 11-Apr-14 10:09:38

So, we're getting a large breed puppy in a few weeks and I'm still not sure what to do with the poop. Once he's old enough to go out for walks obviously I'll have the poop bag and deposit in a handy bin. But what about the home poops? I've looked at the glorified buckets with holes that go in the garden, but seems that they're pretty useless in clay soil, and given that everytime it rain we get standing water in most of our garden I don't think that's a good idea. So what do you do? Scoop and put down toilet? Bag up and dispose of in rubbish bin? Make daily trips to poop scoop bins? I remember my dad used to shovel up their dog's doings and put down a man-hole cover in the front garden. All advice on poop disposal systems appreciated!

Atbeckandcall Fri 11-Apr-14 10:11:58

I used to bag it up and then put it in a carrier lined bin outside. Then when rubbish day came I'd gather it up and or it out with the rubbish.
Just being nosey, what sort of dog are you getting?

Eastpoint Fri 11-Apr-14 10:13:46

I pick it up with loo paper & flush it. My husband picks it up with nappy bags & bins it when we go for walks in poo bins.

nellieellie Fri 11-Apr-14 10:15:30

Thanks Atbeck, yes, a separate bin is a good idea - we're getting an Estrela Mountain Dog so I anticipate lots of poop!

Atbeckandcall Fri 11-Apr-14 10:16:21

Hope you've got big hands!

Gorgeous dogs btw (but you probably already know that) grin

nellieellie Fri 11-Apr-14 10:19:53

Eastpoint - I did think about flushing as I like the idea of just getting shot of it, but I think it was the idea of walking through the kitchen an hall with poop to get to loo! By the time mine is mature, the poop will be rather large as well!

ender Fri 11-Apr-14 10:24:18

Don't flush dog poo down the toilet as worm eggs can survive sewage treatment what to do with dog poo

moosemama Fri 11-Apr-14 12:17:32

Oooo an Estrela, my dh's dream dog, you lucky thing. grin

We use biodegradable nappy sacks and have a bin in the back garden that we line with a biodegradable black bag. Poo goes in that as it's cleared up daily then the black sack is put in the wheelie bin the morning the refuse collectors come to empty it.

I have two relatively large dogs - not as big as an Estrela though - and used to have three and it's much nicer all round to leave putting it in your household wheelie until the last minute - especially in summer. envy <---- not envy wink

kerstina Fri 11-Apr-14 12:23:05

I have been putting mine in compost bin but someone told me it was toxic so will be switching to a separate bin outside and out with rubbish when collected.

Eastpoint Fri 11-Apr-14 14:17:03

Thank you ender I didn't know that. If my dogs are wormed regularly (which they are) is it still too high a risk & better to just bag? My husband will be pleased that his is the right method (but I won't tell him).

ender Fri 11-Apr-14 14:39:43

OP - its up to you but I don't think you can ever be sure a dog is completely worm free. Bit like children and head lice, they can be treated then get re-infected a few days later.

nellieellie Fri 11-Apr-14 14:47:05

Thanks very much ender - I read your link to the Cornwall council website and it is quite clear - dog poo should not be put down drain or toilets. A bit worrying as I'm sure most people are not aware of this. It seems that bagging it and putting in household waste is the thing, or having your own dog "loo" in garden. I will check though with our local council as I guess recommendations may vary. Kerstina, no should never put dog poo in a normal composter - only vegey animals - horse, cows, rabbit guinea pig poo is suitable for this. I did wonder whether you could if your dog was vegey tho...............?? I think probably not.

Owllady Fri 11-Apr-14 15:33:45

I bag it and pit in the wheelie bin
It his thread shows how different we are as flushing down our domestic loo appalls me!

mousmous Fri 11-Apr-14 15:40:07

friends have a compost bin extra for dog poo. they put a powder in every now and then (compost accelerator?) and use the resulting compost only for the flower beds.
our council compost bin says that dog poo can go in, but they 'cook' the stuff before further processing.

nellieellie Fri 11-Apr-14 15:41:55

Yes but do you remember that the film - "meeting the fockers" or something where the father-in-law has a yorkie type dog which perches on the loo and then flushes it? I always thought what a great idea....................

HandragsNGladbags Fri 11-Apr-14 15:43:34

My DP's used to have a doggy loo thing in the garden which you sank into the ground and used with some type of chemical to decompose it.

Dogownerwithoutacluebuttrying Sat 12-Apr-14 23:04:32

I've got a lockable bin outside (so foxes can't break into it...imagine the mess...yuck!) with a scented pedal bin liner in it. I put the poop bags in there.

I'm new to all this though so hoping this isn't going to be vile in summer if it's hot weather.

EasterBunnyFuntStoleAllTheEggs Thu 17-Apr-14 08:12:34

I just bag it and put it in the wheely bin.

FYI in Meet The Fockers it was the cat that used the loo, not the dog tbuwink the dog was also a Chihuahua <watched it too many times>

CMOTDibbler Thu 17-Apr-14 08:15:39

Nappy bags, and then in the wheely bin.

The council say to put bagged poo into any bin (not just dog specific) when out and about, and on walks I take the dicky bag so I don't dangle a humming bag of poo from my finger for ages

Aked Sat 19-Apr-14 08:51:23

Whats a dicky bag?

<someone who walks for miles with a humming bag of poo dangling from fingers>

Aked Sat 19-Apr-14 08:53:09

Have go

Aked Sat 19-Apr-14 08:53:22

Have googled!

CMOTDibbler Sat 19-Apr-14 17:46:17

Dicky bag. DH cycled 10 miles with dog poo in ours today as there are no bins on the cycle trail

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now