Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Jogging with dogs

(15 Posts)

I want to start running with my 2 dogs (found a dog version of couch to 5k).
We're going to take it slowly (for me more than them!) and I'll take water for them but I wondered if anyone had any tips or experiences to share? The stuff I read said to have them both on the lead but I think we might get a bit tangled up at first....

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Thu 03-Apr-14 20:25:23

I run with my dog sometimes. We run on MOD land so I don't have him on the lead. However I do carry it in a bum bag with my whistle and treats.
As long as your dogs have good recall I don't see you having a problem as they should be keen to stay with you.
I wouldn't run with them in the lead unless you have done some training with them.

Good luck hope you enjoy it.

cathpip Thu 03-Apr-14 20:32:37

Second what demons do says, I regularly run with mine but they have good recall and run well to heel so only use a lead if heading down a road. You could also try cross country as you will often come across streams so no need for water for them.

Thanks, that's going to be much easier! The park over the road has a jogging track so we're going to start there.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 03-Apr-14 20:38:03

Depending on what sort of dog be careful. From what I have read dogs like to run a bit, then stop and sniff around a bit, and run a bit more. Full on non stop running can be pretty hard on a dog, esp a big one

ihaveadirtydog Thu 03-Apr-14 20:38:07

I've just come in from a 5k road run with mine- he's fine on the lead-tends to pull a bit to start with but soon settles into it and lead is nice & loose.
You can get jogging leads that go round your waist so that your hand are free

Owllady Thu 03-Apr-14 21:06:45

I was about to suggest a waist belt thing

Jogging leads? I think I'll try letting them run beside me first but if not that could be good, thank you.

I think it will be a long while before we get onto full on running. I'm completely out of shape so we'll be starting very gently!

CoffeeMad Fri 04-Apr-14 14:11:09

I did couch to 5k with mine, she is a small breed. It worked great as we were both starting from scratch. She runs on the lead as she will rub herself in cow/sheep/horse nasties if I am not looking! We run in rural country lanes, and are up to 15miles a week. She loves it.
Enjoy, you will prob never run faster than they are capable of and as you all build up together they will get used to going longer and longer without sniffing breaks.

I take my cocker spaniel with me every Saturday to a 5k ParkRun. I use a chest harness and short lead on her, so that she doesn't get in anyone else's way.

I take my Weim on long runs too, but he gets a bit hyper round crowds. I just use a normal head collar/ harness on him - he trots along nicely, it isnt a full-on top speed run to him.

I did try a canicross event recently called Waggy Races. Yes, running with your dog is a "thing"! That was enormous fun, and if I got into it seriously I'd be investing in a waist-belt-lead.

Check their paws and pads carefully after each run, and as with anything, build up gradually.

CMOTDibbler Tue 08-Apr-14 18:40:05

If you are starting running yourself, then its perfect as you build up distance together. Me and my lurcher run together, and for him its a gentle trot, so he's happy to run 16km at a time. I use a harness and a long lead, and he doesn't pull.

I rub with my big dog - well I did until I buggered my back - just on lead as normal with his gentle leader. His stride is so long he's not running most of the time, just lolloping!

Run. Dog rubbing sounds weird.

Handywoman Tue 08-Apr-14 19:38:36

I started running recently with my JRT (bless her, and she is SHORT!) at first we ran round the park together but she was inclined to lose track of me and head for home (!)

So I now have her on a lead with a double clip. I use this when there are other dogs around as she's very nervy around dogs. The other day I ran 5k with her on a track, the weather was pants, no one else around so JRT was off lead, she was fine. Stopped a bit then catching up well. I think she's getting the hang. On the way home I threw her sticks all the way so she loves it.

DubBgoodToMe Tue 08-Apr-14 19:45:59

My dog always found it hilarious to trip me up or go left when I went right. Long lead is a must grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now