ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Best flea treatment for puppies?

(10 Posts)
Wordsmith Wed 02-Apr-14 12:26:08

We've tried Bob Martin and the vet has prescribed Frontline but the fleas seem to hang on in there! We've been recommended to try Advantage or Advocate. Does anyone one have any experience of these?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 02-Apr-14 13:32:54

How old is the puppy age will playa if factor in what you can use.

Atbeckandcall Wed 02-Apr-14 13:41:52

Please don't ever use Bob Martin!!

It's doesn't work anyway but some animals have very adverse reaction to it.

Advocate is amazing and can only be bought from the vet. Works differently to Frontline though. With FL the product is absorbed through the skin and enters the bloodstream so the fleas have to bite and ingest blood before they are killed. With Advocate they just have to come into contact with the animal.

Both are applied in exactly the same way.

Floralnomad Wed 02-Apr-14 13:45:41

My dog is nearly 4 ,we have used advocate from when we got him at 16 weeks and I have never seen a flea ,I highly recommend it .

Wordsmith Wed 02-Apr-14 13:58:44

She's 5 months old. I know Bob Martin is useless! I had heard Advocate was the best so I will get some from the vet. Thanks!

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 02-Apr-14 18:17:47

Advocate is fine on a 5 month old, remember advocate does not cover for ticks. It might be worth spraying the house with Indorex or acclaim too.

Irishmammybread Wed 02-Apr-14 18:36:30

If you wanted to give a tablet rather than a spot on you could ask your vet about "Comfortis" ,it kills fleas much quicker than the spot on treatments. Or "Trifexis" which contains the same active ingredient as Comfortis but also a wormer. (Also kills lungworm though not actually licenced for this yet.)

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 02-Apr-14 20:35:04

Trifexis is not currently licensed in the UK.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 02-Apr-14 20:38:47

Actually I tell an untruth it is licensed, but for some reason the national office of animal health has taken down all the licence data to do with this drug for some reason.
Initial search didn't reveal it, further searching found it, but with all actual data removed which is very unusual.

Ludoole Thu 03-Apr-14 01:02:21

To echo others, stay clear of Bob Martins!!
Advocate has always served us well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now