ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

What sort of bed?

(13 Posts)
Goldmandra Mon 31-Mar-14 10:01:40

We're collecting our 2YO terrier cross from the vets tonight after a few days there following a haemorrhage in her spinal cord.

She is very immobile. We saw her yesterday and she can't sit properly or weight bear on her back legs so she is lying down the whole time. They have her on an inflatable bed with a sheepskin cover but we just have the rug she normally sleeps on.

Should I try to get her something to prevent pressure sores? They have said that any recovery could take weeks so she must be at risk of them.

Floralnomad Mon 31-Mar-14 10:54:36

My terrier destroys anything padded so we have him on a memory foam mat with his blankets piled on top . PAH do nice memory foam beds .What is his prognosis it sounds like an awful injury ,poor little thing .i would suggest you do like we do for humans and change his position for him every couple of hours if he can't do it himself.

Floralnomad Mon 31-Mar-14 10:55:28

Sorry 'her ' not him.

Goldmandra Mon 31-Mar-14 12:11:50

Thanks Floral.

I'll have a look at PAH smile

She rips up beds too so we'll put the new bed under the rug.

It's horrible seeing such a vibrant, active little dog so quiet and struggling to move. I am terrified that she won't recover fully sad

mistlethrush Mon 31-Mar-14 12:13:40

We got one from PAH and found that the waterproof cover prevented it being 'dug' up through the cloth cover - which goes on top so its still nice to sit on. Vet bed is quite good too - its only thin but would make a nice comfortable, supportive layer on top of something else.

Goldmandra Mon 31-Mar-14 12:16:41

Thanks Mistle. Is vet bed easy to rip up?

mistlethrush Mon 31-Mar-14 12:19:35

No, it is like a rug made of microfibre - some egs here

Goldmandra Mon 31-Mar-14 12:27:56

Thank you. I'll look at that now.

I think we'll need something that can be washed/changed regularly while she can't move easily to wee so this might be just what we need.

hennipenni Mon 31-Mar-14 12:50:57

vet bed is very easy to quickly wash and dry

Floralnomad Mon 31-Mar-14 13:00:47

Dunelm Mill do memory foam bath mats which are quite thick and much cheaper than the dog beds ,you could always double them up and they wash and dry well .

Goldmandra Mon 31-Mar-14 14:14:19

There's' Dunelm in our nearest city so will try to get there tomorrow. Thank you.

It sounds like those bath mats with Vet bed on top are the way to go smile

WeAllHaveWings Mon 31-Mar-14 22:29:54

We use this vet bed. It's massive and cuts up with scissors. We use half for our 42" crate and other half in corner of living room for our labrador.

Dries quickly, he did chew a bit to begin with but not anymore.

Goldmandra Mon 31-Mar-14 22:56:47

Thanks, WeAll.

She's home and shattered (two hour car journey).

I don't think she's going to be strong enough to rip up a bed for a while but we'll see.

This is going to be a long road but she apparently had around an 80% chance of an eventual recovery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now