Poorly dog - shallow breathing

(20 Posts)
SweetiePie0 Sun 30-Mar-14 20:31:06

Dear All,

So worried about my 12 year old scottie dog - we took him to the vets last week as he has had itchy skin and wasn't not himself - had slowed right up on walks, very quiet etc... The vet said that he had a slight heart murmur, low blood count and a temperature and that she would give him some antibiotics to get rid of the allergies that he has, but wanted to see him on Monday to take blood tests...

Over the course of the weekend he has noticably lost weight, not interested in anything and is taking shallowish breathes....

Very worried about him - has anyone else had a dog that has experienced this and pulled through?

Aked Sun 30-Mar-14 21:21:02

If you have any concerns over his breathing I would call your vet and have him seen tonight. If you called our practice out of hours and described the above I would be asking you to bring him in. (I'm a VN.)

Hope he is ok.

1MitchellMum Sun 30-Mar-14 21:26:17

I would ring the vet. Is he drinking? May need to go on a drip perhaps? But the vet will know best. Keep us posted. Hope he'll be OK.

noddingoff Sun 30-Mar-14 21:39:22

What Aked said. Good luck.

wheresthelight Sun 30-Mar-14 21:45:19

Sorry hin, it doesn't sound good. I second the advice to call the emergency vet though! He may be just reacting badly to the medicine but get him checked

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 30-Mar-14 22:01:46

Abnormal breathing is always an emergency and as others have said you need to see a vet.

SweetiePie0 Mon 31-Mar-14 15:41:38

Dear All,

Just to give you a little update on my little dog - the vet has admitted him and is going to get some tests underway - also put him on a drip... please, please keep fingers crossed for him - he such a gentle soul!

thanks
get well soon scottie dog

InpraiseofPolly Mon 31-Mar-14 17:48:54

Sending good wishes to you and your dog x

1MitchellMum Mon 31-Mar-14 19:17:51

I know what you're going through, fingers firmly crossed for him - and you. x

SweetiePie0 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:59:36

Thank you all for your best wishes - I spoke to the vet this evening and she says that she cannot find any signs of tumours from the X-rays, his blood count has gone up by 3 points from 30 to 33, and that she suspects inflammation of the bowel....He is saying on the drip overnight and I am calling tomorrow to see how he is ..... Going to be a long night!

Thank you again xx

coffeeinbed Mon 31-Mar-14 20:00:59

Hope he's better tomorrow!

SweetiePie0 Tue 01-Apr-14 16:52:41

Dear All,

My little Scottie dog had an op this morning to remove a tumour from his abdomen - have been to see him this afternoon and he is very sleepy and dozey.... The vet said that the next three days are critical as he could get peritonitis.... please keep praying for him - he is such a sweet little thing!

coffeeinbed Tue 01-Apr-14 21:04:25

Hope he gets better soon!

noddingoff Tue 01-Apr-14 22:52:57

thinking about you and wee dog, good luck x

Owllady Wed 02-Apr-14 08:19:36

Fingers crossed xx

SweetiePie0 Wed 02-Apr-14 11:36:49

Update on my little Scottie - I called the vets and they say he had a good night, his temperature is back to normal and that he trotted out for a wee - only problem is that he isn't eating as he doesn't like fish...My MIL suggested that I take him some chicken over... so I am going over at 4pm to give him a little walk, try and get him to eat - also taking his favourite little toy to remind him of home...

He isn't out of the woods yet but he is heading in the right direction...

whatadrama Wed 02-Apr-14 11:43:55

I'm Sending positive thoughts for your little dog and hope he gets better soon.

Hopefully the taste of chicken will motivate him into a slow stroll smile

ghostinthecanvas Wed 02-Apr-14 15:20:51

Glad things are going in the right direction. Thanks for your support last night flowers

SweetiePie0 Wed 02-Apr-14 20:55:53

Well I went to see him this afternoon and he trotted over to see me! We went for a little walk in the car park and he stopped by the car and looked at me as if to say 'open the door then!'

We went back in and he got straight into his cage and fell asleep on top of his favourite toy.... still not eating so I am taking some roast beef slices over in the morning..

I know we have still got a long way to go and of course, we know that he is on borrowed time, but he seems to be improving all the time...

Thank you for your support and kind words x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now