Vets bills

(11 Posts)
Ghostsdonttalk Sat 29-Mar-14 14:38:04

My two year old collie had a massive seizure yesterday. He is the vets on IV overnight last and will be again tonight. He has had blood test etc

My Dh didn't ask for an estimate. I am worried how much it will be.

Any ideas?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 29-Mar-14 14:49:06

Ask them when you next speak them what the current total is and what the likely costs to discharge should be.
There will be huge variation you will get on here for prices as geographical location will play a big part.

EasyToEatTiger Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:34

How terrifying for all of you. Without insurance these things can be £££££ or they can be affordable. I was spending £75/month each on 2 dogs over 13 years old and I decided it was a bit much. I think Lonecat is a vet, so I don't know the answer.

Ghostsdonttalk Sat 29-Mar-14 20:57:34

I phoned them. It will be about £250 but don't know what long term holds.

Floralnomad Sat 29-Mar-14 22:06:30

That sounds extremely reasonable . Hope your dog is feeling better soon .

cashewfrenzy Sat 29-Mar-14 22:25:16

Wow yes, very reasonable.

Fwiw vets are totally used to talking about money and budgets in these circumstances, in fact we actually like it. Much better someone is honest with us from the start and we work within a budget than running up a huge and unmanageable bill.

Crossing my fingers for your poor pooch's recovery.

Ghostsdonttalk Sun 30-Mar-14 12:47:05

He has to stay another night. They think he has epilepsy. But currently also has diarrhoea and vomiting. Poor pup.

Owllady Sun 30-Mar-14 14:40:13

How old is he? Poor dog sad
I don't know about dogs, but my dd has epilepsy and I always think she has a clear out after a seizure (ie. Vomit or other end)
I hope he is okay

Ghostsdonttalk Sun 30-Mar-14 16:49:14

He is only two but is a bearded collie so the breed is prone to them.
I am sorry to hear your Dd has epilepsy it is really difficult for a child. For you too I am sure.

Owllady Sun 30-Mar-14 17:02:13

Yes, it's bloody horrible tbh but it is controlled to an extent with drugs
I am sure the same can be done with dogs
Sorry for my useful help blush

Badgersoak Thu 03-Apr-14 15:58:42

Surprised to hear of a bearded collie with epilepsy not common in the breed - border collie yes very prelevent !!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now