Help! 6 month old male pup turning nasty with older girl

(12 Posts)
CuddyMum Wed 26-Mar-14 14:00:25

My darling pup has shown a very different side to himself over the last two days. He has properly gone for my sweet and gentle pug who is almost 5. This is definitely not the play fighting that they normally do and it has frightened me and my older dog. He is having his microchip tomorrow and we will be discussing his neutering and now his displays of aggression. He is also a big humper. My older dog has never shown any form of nastiness so any advice would be most appreciated indeed. Is this the terrible two's, should we castrate him asap (he is still very small for his age), will he grow out of this? confused

What kind of dog?

nuttymutty1 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:05:02

I would get both dogs a health check at the vet.

Castration may not help it depends on why the dog is attacking, it could make things worse - I would get in rl advice on this before things escalate.

APDT is a good place to start

Poor you sad

What were the circumstances regarding the attack?

CuddyMum Wed 26-Mar-14 19:05:07

The pup is 3/4 pug and 1/4 lhasa apso. Circumstances yesterday were that visitors were here and today one of my teenage daughters was here (school strike). She separated them but my older dog was shaken and is wary. Earlier the puppy had a chew and he was deliberately taunting the older dog even though she has no real interest in chews. Both dogs will be at the vets tomorrow as I would like them to scan my other dogs chip. I'll see what they think. When out, he is very submissive. All has been calm since this morning. Although, he has tried humping my older girl today but I have given him the leave it command and overly praising him for simple things. I ignored him when he humped his toy. Sorry for rambling.

digerd Wed 26-Mar-14 20:29:04

I have a Lhasa Apso 3 year-old girl and had one several years ago, both non-aggressive and non-reactive. It is unusual for a male to be aggressive with a female. Pugs are also non-aggressive.
Sexual maturity usually starts at 9 months but can be earlier. My friend's Yorkie had her first season at 6 months for example.
He is probably a wayward teenager testing his boundaries with an older step sibling. It is a pity your older female didn't put him in his place which usually happenssad.
I think your vet will advise you to have him castrated especially living with a female even if she is spayed.

My Lhasa girl is spayed but still humps her teddy toy indoors when excited.

Is it possible that he was resource guarding the chew toy? Did your older dog take the chew from your puppy? Can you give the chew in differing rooms so there's no reason to guard? Can you describe the exact circumstances of the attack? smile

CuddyMum Thu 27-Mar-14 10:42:09

No he had the chew and took it over and flaunted it in front of her. He didn't get the reaction he wanted as she ignored him. On this occasion he didn't try anything. I always take his chew away from him mid-chew and give it back to him and he never bats an eyelid. My older girl was spayed a long time ago and I feel that the pup is both horny (he's been humping from a very early age) and has a Napoleon complex. He isn't a very big dog at all but I'm sure he thinks he is. His parents were much larger than my pug. We've had no problems today so far and he was a good boy last night. He looks more like a lhasa and behaves more like one too. It's hard to believe there's any pug in there.

That's good then smile

Just a quick idea you that's ok? Imagine if you were in your house eating a lovely meal that your DH had cooked, and then your DH took your plate away from you, then immediately gave it back? First time, you might be a bit like, eh? but say nothing.

Imagine if your DH continued to do this. Eventually you would shout/grumble at him, 'what the hell are you doing weirdo' smile I would anyway!

Imagine if your DH, instead of taking your plate, put a really tasty steak, or bar of choccie or salad, or whatever you love the best? You would think, 'mmmm'

Might be an idea, instead of taking the chew, offer something even tastier to your dog. That way, he has no reason to think his best chew will be removed, rather something even better is being offered?

I KNOW your dog doesn't resource guard and it's not an issue, just a well meaning tip for the future smile A postive to way to show your dog that you are no threat to food smile, which is usually high value to them.

I often chuck some tasty chicken into my dogs bowls as they eat their usual food, as my spaniel 'could' resource guard food, given half a chance, he lives for food and was starting to look tense as I walked past him while eating.

Waffle waffle...!

CuddyMum Fri 02-May-14 12:14:07

Update - all is good now (thankfully). The vet nurse thought it could be a surge in hormones. We are planning on having him castrated when he is around 10 months old (although it's amazing how many people have different advice as to what age to do this).

SnakeyMcBadass Fri 02-May-14 12:24:54

My poodley thing (14 months now) regularly taunts the Bastard Spaniel (nearly 3). He goads him with toys, waves chews in his face etc. If the spaniel reacts, the poodley thing leaps at him like a gremlin, all teeth and sneezing <wtf?!> The spaniel will either bark with irritation, or flatten him with a well aimed paw to the forehead. The ultimate spamming. The poodley thing has done this since he was about 4 months old. Basically, he's a mischievous little sod and a bit of a PITA. The spaniel tolerates so much, then slaps him down. So to me, this just sounds like normal young dog being an arse to older dog behaviour. Ideally, your older girl will put him on his arse at some point and he will then know the play boundaries.

CuddyMum Fri 02-May-14 16:17:24

He has an older spaniel 'friend' who growls at him if he goes within a foot of him. It's remarkable to see my little gremlin rolling over in submission and practically grovelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now