ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Crate for a labrador

(8 Posts)
Genieinalamp Sun 23-Mar-14 20:55:53

Hi, we are getting a female lab puppy in a few weeks and want to buy a crate. Can anyone recommend a brand? Also we are thinking of getting a 42" size but would appreciate any advice on height/size. Thank you.

tabulahrasa Sun 23-Mar-14 21:09:01

I've got a 48 inch crate for a rottie that's not much bigger than a lab - I reckon a 42 would do as a person can fit in it with him, lol.

No idea about brands as I just looked on eBay for the cheapest largest crate I could find...it was about £35.

If you're getting an adult size one - you will probably want a divider though, or it'll be way too big until it grows.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 23-Mar-14 21:22:31

We've got a lab and a 42" crate which is big enough. Our lab is a working lab so only 29kgs, have seen much much bigger labs than ours which look as if 42" would be a squeeze.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 24-Mar-14 07:39:48

The dog health website do excellent quality well priced crates which come with vet bed and bowls as standard.

Genieinalamp Mon 24-Mar-14 14:51:26

Thank you very much for your comments & for the recommendation - I'll have a look at the dog health website.

Are you intending to crate forever or just while it's young.

I only crate for the first six months, and so a 42" crate would be far too big. The crate is supposed to be the right size for just a bed - no spare space - otherwise it sort of defeats the purpose. Of course, if you want to crate forever, then try and find one of the ones with internal dividers to keep the space appropriate.

hennipenni Tue 25-Mar-14 08:31:10

We got the biggest size possible for our working lab puppy, she's a rescue who prefers to spend a lot of time in her crate, mostly this is her own choice but we sometimes put her in to give her a break from her mad cocker brother.

Genieinalamp Tue 25-Mar-14 21:43:13

As a 'soon to be' first time dog owner, I don't really know if we'll always use a crate! We do go camping quite a lot so think a crate will be really useful in the long term. Thanks for your replies. I think we'll go for a 42" with a divider. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now