does your pampered pet behave like something awful has happened when you do something relatively straightforward?

(13 Posts)
Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 09:23:16

Like apply advocate grin
She hid under the table as soon as she saw the tube
Sat like she was having a neurotic nervous breakdown when I applied it and is now moping around as though something awful has happened to her!

It may just be a collie thing again though hmm

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 21-Mar-14 09:34:46

One of the cars screams like he's being murdered. Then actively sulks AT me for a day or so afterwards. Yet he will let me clip his claws on occasion, which is far more intrusive, with only a purr. Weirdo that he is. grin

tabulahrasa Fri 21-Mar-14 10:02:16

Not the dog...but one of the cats runs out of the room looking terrified if...

a tap turns on
a guitar is picked up (including the xbox one that doesn't actually make any noise)
My DP undoes his belt
DD plays the flute (though I find that one less odd)

The dog gets howly if things scare him though, so far, a new bench, carrier bags in trees, outdoor Christmas lights, a couch outside someone's house waiting to be picked up and cars parked where he thinks they shouldn't be have all turned him into some sort of hound of the baskerville impressionist...it's not at all embarrassing hmm

basildonbond Fri 21-Mar-14 12:36:38

Dpup hides under the table whenever I get his harness out - this is bizarre as

a) he has never had a 'bad' experience having it put on

b) he LOVES going for walks - his body language radiates joy for the whole time we're out

c) it definitely fits properly and is not rubbing anywhere

And d) as soon as it's on he gives a little shake and then carries on as normal

We've clicked and treated for sniffing at the harness, going near it and while it's being put on to no avail confused

Catsmamma Fri 21-Mar-14 12:38:48

one of my cats is scared witless of tin foil...and she can tell the difference between the boxes....she'll scowl if i pick up the clingfilm, baking paper or foil, but she only runs if it's the foil.

Our two hide when they see their harnesses too, Basildon - despite, like yours, being fine in them and loving their walks!
Oh and my boy hides when he sees the brush.

Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 12:58:00

Yes, we have the same issues with the harness! Despite not being bothered when it's on etc
Also she much prefers the harness to having the lead on her collar confused

pimmsgalore Fri 21-Mar-14 13:13:20

Both of mine run away as soon as they see their harnesses as well. They are fine once put on and then won't let you take them off.
The older dog runs a mile and hides behind the first big object he finds if you even go near the drawer the advocate is kept in. Then sulks for hours after you have applied it not even coming near us for raw chicken (he's a lab cross so very food orientated) shock

Ours aren't fussed about the advocate. Although worming tablets have to be hidden in cheese.

Eric looks aghast if anyone sneezes, growls, runs round and then comes and commiserates. It will be interesting in a month or so as most of us get awful hayfever hmm

nuttymutty1 Fri 21-Mar-14 18:55:50

Advocate can sting some dogs so probably why she reacted like she did Owllady

Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 19:09:59

Awww sad now I feel dreadful for laughing at her (not to her face obv) my vet said it doesn't have any initial side effects

KarinMurphy Mon 24-Mar-14 12:56:38

Mine run away and hide when I pick up their collars and headcollars for a walk and then do the same thing when we get home and I go to take them off. Bonkers! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now