Can dogs eat cat food?

(13 Posts)
limitedperiodonly Sat 15-Mar-14 19:24:55

My cat has refused to eat Whiskas. He's not particularly fussy. He's a nice little brute but he just doesn't like it which seems fair enough to me. We can all make choices grin

I have two boxes of sachets.

I'd like to give it a local homeless bloke with a dog but I don't want to hurt the dog. Would it?

It's meat selection in jelly, if that helps.

Otherwise I'll give it to the Blue Cross up the road, but I'd quite like to give it to him.

BOFtastic Sat 15-Mar-14 19:25:46

Yes, they can. Cats shouldn't be given dog food though.

no, i heard it was too rich. i did just once out of necessity.

limitedperiodonly Sat 15-Mar-14 20:21:05

Thanks to both of you for replying.

My instinct is to give the man the food and let him decide.

But if it would be really bad, I won't. I want to help him but I don't want to hurt the dog.

My cat is curled up in front of me btw.

He's a happy little thing and gives me a lot of joy.

I want the dog and his person to be happy too.

Hubblez Sat 15-Mar-14 20:43:21

It isn't good for a dog but it won't hurt it, it isn't really bad either and maybe better than what the dog is currently eating. I'd offer it to the man and see what he wants to do

BOFtastic Sat 15-Mar-14 20:45:54
Hubblez Sat 15-Mar-14 20:45:58

Also if you have 2 boxes full I'm sure the man would appreciate not having to worry about feeding his dog for a few days when he might already worry about feeding himself

limitedperiodonly Sat 15-Mar-14 21:17:54

Thanks for that link BOF.

I had the idea that cats can't live on anything but meat (which ultimately buggers their kidneys) but dogs can live on a more varied, or even vegetarian diet. But I might be wrong, which is why I'm asking.

I've had dogs and cats.

My beloved dog could and would eat anything - not that we knew what we were doing back then or should have been doing - we gave her chocolate and ice cream. She did make it to 14 though.

I just want to help someone and his mate. But I don't want to cause any harm.

hubblez I'm tending towards your view.

I just wanted to ask if it was a really bad thing.

Some people can't feed themselves.

Feeding beloved pets must be terrible.

Thanks.

Aquelven Sun 16-Mar-14 19:46:42

The only problem is that it's a bit too rich so might give his dog the squirts. Why not buy a box of plain biscuit mixer, not complete kibble, & give him that as well to mix with the sachets so it isn't as rich?
like this

limitedperiodonly Sun 16-Mar-14 20:14:58

I see what you mean. I'll think about it. Maybe it would be a better idea to give it to the Blue Cross.

Thanks, everyone.

Years ago when I worked at a vets, dogs were given cat food when they wouldn't eat don't know why other than they would eat it after refusing most other things.

limitedperiodonly Tue 18-Mar-14 20:00:19

Perhaps it's more tasty redpriest. Or more proteiney so they like it, especially if they're feeling ill. But I've no idea whether that's a good idea.

I've had two dogs. I only really remember the second one and she'd eat anything if you didn't stop her.

My mum used to give her chopped breast of lamb as well as tinned dog food. The breeder recommended it and my dog loved it. Also reconstituted dried fish. And raw carrots. She was mad for them. And peas. They made her fart. Silent but deadly grin

My cat will eat well-cooked vegetables in his food too. He's not that much of a fuss-pot. Definitely not compared to my friends' cats and he's a highly-refined pedigree and they're moggies. Not that it makes him better than them, it's just that it makes me smile because he's so easy to look after and their cats are tricky.

I adopted him btw. It was that or being destroyed. And whereas he once was a menace - I admit I hated him at first because he was a clingy, mad biter - he's turned into a fabulous creature who charms everyone.

<buffs nails because obviously it was me>

<I think he just needed to calm down>

I know this is a dog forum but I guess everyone here likes all animals.

And again, thanks to everyone here. Like I said, I've had pets but I'm not an experienced owner, so I'm grateful for the advice.

BertieBotts Tue 18-Mar-14 20:02:52

It's fine but it shouldn't be their entire diet is what I have heard.

I think my cousin's dog lived on cat food for her whole life though and she was pretty old when she died and very healthy. <anecdata>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now