Does anyone want to try and identify my dog breed?

(53 Posts)
MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 19:54:52

She is very small, about the size of a largish cat.
Her is high and curls over
Her ears are flat
She is not yappy but is a bit of a yowler/talker
She comes from Romania. I have no idea what common breeds are over there but I am guessing a lot of working breeds.

I cannot for the life of me work out what she is/has in her.

Fancy a punt?

I have tried with pictures but she is really hard to photograph

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 19:57:31

That should say 'her tail is high'

Floralnomad Thu 13-Mar-14 20:00:01

She looks quite similar to my mums dogs and they are JRT x border terrier , yours has a fluffier tail though .

MuttonCadet Thu 13-Mar-14 20:02:16

Are you having a laugh? She's a very pretty mongrel, possibly with some collie, terrier in her.

Does it matter? All my rescues have been mongrels, they have less genetic problems and totally adorable.

Shes an absolute sweetie btw, love the neckerchief.

McFlurry Thu 13-Mar-14 20:02:27

Something about her head shape says chihuahua to me. But I'd say there's a bigger dose of terrier in there...probably JRT or some mix thereof.

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:07:58

I have only ever had mongrels Mutton
Of course it doesn't matter but it doesn't have to matter does it? I am curious thats all smile
The neckerchief is a baby bib from Tesco. They are just the right size for my mini dogs.

She is nothing like any JRT I have ever known apart from being very reactive to dogs and cats and bin bags and birds etc.

I have had a few terrier x and she is a lot less hard work IMO.

Chihuahua is interesting because my other dog is a Chi x and they are VERY different.

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:10:24

Interestingly, for a tiny dog, she took a long time to muscle up and remained very puppy like until recently.
Her facial markings are like my old collie cross.

Her colouring is quite GSD don't you think?

I know I am waffling but I thought something might jump out at someone.

bakingtins Thu 13-Mar-14 20:13:47

I'd also suggest some chihuahua from the domed head and the curled over tail. We have a local rescue that imports dogs from Romania and calls them all "Romys" though no two are alike. Proper Heinz 57 and none the worse for it, in my opinion.

MuttonCadet Thu 13-Mar-14 20:16:40

I had a tri-coloured collie cross that had the same markings.

But how coarse is her fur - it definitely looks JRT to me.

And how small is small? Are you talking Chi size?

But from Romania the chances are she's a mongrel for generations, just a generic "dog".

no idea im afraid but she is booootiful

Catsmamma Thu 13-Mar-14 20:20:29

yes...I'd say chihuahua from the head/forehead and eye shape, maybe JRT from the coat pattern, maybe a bit of dachshund from her pointy snout???

Cute though...nd reminds me I must find the neckerchiefs for the bigboys.

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:25:47

She has very, very soft fur. A beautiful coat without much effort on my part.
She is the same size as my Chi x Pom so bigger than a proper Chi but still very small.

I suspect she is a product of generations of cross breeding but her tiny size intrigues me because she looks like a miniature big dog IYSWIM.

When I first saw a photo of her I thought she was a big working dog, until I saw her lying next to a cat grin

Sorry Mutton I realise my thread title is misleading! Of course I don't think she is a 'breed'. I was just trying to identify some bits grin

mrs d could we possibly have a pic of the chi x pom ?

i have both so a little bit obsessed

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:30:07

Of course hang on and I will sort you one smile

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:31:43

Here he is.

diplodocus Thu 13-Mar-14 20:31:45

No idea, but she's lovely. Does her behaviour give any clues? I.e. is she scent oriented etc? We've thought about having a "guess diplodog's most prevalent ancestry" stall on a similar basis to guess the weight of the cake at the school fete but she wouldn't appreciate the crowds and we'd have to pay £60 or so for a DNA test so as to have some sort of objective answer.

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:33:38

korma are your dogs prone to putting on weight quickly? I have to be really careful with mine.
Poor little bugger only has to look at food and he piles it on.

So much for getting a toy breed that only needed minimum exercise grin

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:36:35

Good question dip
She goes NUTS when she sees another dog but is very friendly rather than agressive. But she is a rescue dog so...
Recall training is very hard because she is so easily distracted but she is highly motivated by food so that helps.

I haven't noticed her picking up a scent as such. She is not focused enough for that yet.

She loves people. She will try and 'woo' anyone who comes near her/past her with wiggling and tail wagging.

She is a darling.

jonicomelately Thu 13-Mar-14 20:38:29

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Heeler
No idea what breed she is, but my guess is she'll be the Romanian version of something like a Lancashire/Ormskirk Heeler, that was used for driving cattle over very long distances.

cosikitty Thu 13-Mar-14 20:38:48

My first thought was German Shepherd, until I realized how small she was. Maybe German Shepherd crossed with something small and a bit of collie too.

MuttonCadet Thu 13-Mar-14 20:39:02

Sorry MrsDeVere, I realised by your second post that you were genuinely just intrigued by her heritage.

I wonder if shes "Rom dog" crossed with a chi?

She is a lovely girl!

LettertoHermioneGranger Thu 13-Mar-14 20:40:54

Maybe a little bit of beagle?

squeeee
he is gorgeous mrs d , thank you

yes both my chis and my male pom have been huge and it has been a constant battle to keep their weight down. i suspect it was having them neutered tbh

MrsDeVere Thu 13-Mar-14 20:43:59

I don't know if tiny 'fashion' dogs have reached Romania in large numbers yet.
I know that the Greek and Cypriot rescues get more of them and I suspect that is perhaps down to the large expat communities?

She has large paws for her size so she is quite puppy like in appearance.

I think I will have a look and see what the equivalent might be in Romania joni. Might give me some clues.

Armadale Thu 13-Mar-14 20:46:06

I'm no help on identifying the breeds, but my goodness me that dog is gorgeous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now