Green gloopy eyes

(8 Posts)
minkersmum Thu 06-Mar-14 10:28:36

My 7 yr old lab/poodle has had awful green gloopy eyes on and off since end of Dec.

He's had numerous antibiotic drops but whilst eyes are clear for the duration of treatment within a week of stopping them the gloop is back.

Swab was then sent and showed nothing. No infection. No yeast. Puppy is unaffected so this all adds up.

Tear production checked and normal, no damage to eyes.
Vet has told me just relax, perhaps it is time of year. Heating on etc.

We have had him 3 years. His eyes have always been clear until now. It is not a normal discharge. First thing in the morning his eyes look like the worst toddler booger nose you can imagine. It is gloopy rather than pus that crusts up the eyes. More gloopy, stringy, stretchy, tmi?? But it isn't normal and I can't 'just relax'.

Anyone any ideas?

Arudonto Fri 07-Mar-14 07:27:42

sounds like its not an infection but an overproduction of lubricant in the eye...is the dog bothered by it?

minkersmum Fri 07-Mar-14 16:16:02

It is only very noticeable first thing in the morning. He wants to rub his eyes as soon as he gets up. Also is there are goobers during day he rubs.
I wondered if he was perhaps allergic to somethinv perhaps.

Would an allergy cause over production of eye lubricant. It is yellowy green too??

poubella Fri 07-Mar-14 16:17:55

My lab/ poodle cross had exactly this but skin allergies too. A raw diet cleared up both his skin and eyes.

Nellymay Fri 07-Mar-14 19:16:02

I used eye drops for humans on my lab when he had green gunk on his eyes - the sort that I would get for myself if I had an itchy gunky eye.
I've also bathed his eyes in boiled warm water doing each eye with a fresh piece of lint or tissue to stop one eye infecting the other.

LadyTurmoil Fri 07-Mar-14 19:46:40

Apart from trying a raw diet as others have suggested, some people rinse eye with cooled green tea, worth a try?

minkersmum Fri 07-Mar-14 23:18:47

I tried bathing the eyes in camomile tea as someone on a dog forum suggested that. Will try green tea.

I do bathe his eyes. Confident I do it without tisk of cross infection as am a nurse.

I did try him on a raw diet last year but he wasn't overly keen on it. Prefers natures diet trays. He is currently on a sensitive lamb based kibble and some nd trays. Might try again with raw.

fishybits Sat 08-Mar-14 09:08:21

Wipe his eyes with a used (cool obviously) tea bag. Fresh one for each eye. It does work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now