Is it unethical to get an English Bulldog?

(62 Posts)
JazzyCardi Tue 04-Mar-14 03:36:50

We have wanted a dog for years and years but have never had the space for one.

We recently moved into a ground floor flat with gardens and expect to be here for at least the next 5 years.

Our dream has always been a boxer but one wouldn't suit our circumstances - mobility limited DP, space restriction, unsecured garden.

Next up is the English Bulldog. As I understand it, they cope well in flats, don't need unsupervised access to a garden, don't require hours of exercise, are good companion dogs and could be a deterrent to intruders - everything we want in a dog!

My initial research left my appalled at the problems the average bulldog is likely to face - breathing issues, cs births required and inability to mate. One source said their life expectancy is only 5 - 8 years!

I started to search for 'healthy bulldogs' and came across 2 different types of results. 1) those that showed images of bulldogs jumping and running and claiming they are perfectly healthy, and 2) Olde English Bulldogges or cross breeds that (to me) looked more aggressive than I'd be comfortable with.

We've considered Staffys but we don't want a dog that might intimidate our neighbours.

Is it unethical to get a bulldog, and if so, does anyone have a suggestion for a breed that might suit our lifestyle?

This will be our first dog btw.

JazzyCardi Thu 06-Mar-14 10:32:54

Thanks for all the new posts and suggestions.

We all talked about it last night and settled on trying to get a rescue EB as first choice and then looking at other rescue dogs if needed.

I had written off staffs, not necessarily because we don't like them but because I didn't think we could give one a good home and it might cause issues with the neighbours. I'm having a re-think now after what 70 posted about there being daintier, less boisterous types available. That could be perfect. I've looked at Battersea Dogs Home and there are loads sad

It would have to be a calm dog that can cope without free access to a garden - DP is here all day so can take it out for wees and let it wander around the garden on a long lead. I'm here all day at the moment but am looking for work so worst case scenario is I can do a quick walk in the morning and a longer one in the evening.

Obviously we'll let the rescue centre know our circumstances and what we can manage and see if they can match us.

Does all this sound ok?

JazzyCardi Thu 06-Mar-14 10:35:45

Also meant to say to Mothership, Gozo and Enzo are great!

MothershipG Thu 06-Mar-14 13:18:49

Thanks Jazzy <proud mummy emoticon> grin

higgle Thu 06-Mar-14 13:27:42

We have had two Staffies, both older rescue dogs and they have been the most lovely companions you can imagine. Have a look on "Oldies club" /Rescue Remedies or Happy Staffie Rescue, and find the love of your life.

HannahG315 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:18:10

Sorry I keep popping up.

Glad you're considering staffers. There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners. Staffies aren't nasty they are blooming lovely dogs. Be prepared for long walks though, all that muscles for speed and distance not fighting.

Our lab x's best play mates are staffers because they're the only ones able to match her speed and tire her out!

YNK Thu 06-Mar-14 14:32:37

The pic the papers use to give the impression of a 'devil dog' is actually a pic of a SBT SNEEZING!!!!
A staffy would give loads of affection to a child in it's family and a grayhound would spend all it's time laying on your sofa!
Good luck, and well done for deciding to rescue!

JazzyCardi Thu 06-Mar-14 22:10:41

I think I've seen that photo YNK.

Thanks for the positive posts about staffs. I'm getting excited now!

I have a rescue mixed American Staffie (same as British Staffie but bigger). She's also got Ridgeback and a load of other breeds. She's boisterous but very playful, can walk forever and has a very soft mouth. She has destroyed stuff round the house so we have crate trained her. Hoping to get rid of the crate in a few months once the puppy chewing stage is mostly past. Her pics are on my profile but she's grown since then, now about 42lbs and the size of a collie. Our vet doesn't think she will grow much more (she's about 8 months). Would never have picked a staffie but they are adorable, kind and very playful dogs. They do have a lot of energy and need to work it off though!

VetNurse Fri 07-Mar-14 06:55:45

There is no way I would ever have a bulldog or recommend one. Riddled with health problems, will cost you a fortune in vets bills and will probably cause you heart ache when it drops dead due to its problems. All very negative I know but being a vet nurse I unfortunately see it happen all to often. I personally think bulldogs should be allowed to die out as any breed who can't mate or give birth without assistance shouldn't exist!

Get a staffie smile

We were watching Crufts yesterday and the breeding/overbreeding on some of the dogs is criminal.

But worse is the way that the SBT has had it's reputation wrecked . I know alot of people dispute the Nanny Dog title but when my DD (who is now ok to walk past a dog on a lead but a bit twitchy near a loose dog) sees a SBT she'll say
"Oh look Mum there's a chunky staffie, the Nanny Dog" and the owners look quite relieved that she's not shrieking "OMG it's a Pitbull, how dare you take that vicious mutt out " which I'm sure they do hear.

It'll take a while for them to get their good name back. Hopefully they will.
Few things are nicer than a Staffie Smile.

(Well the folded back ears , the huge liquid eyes and the leeeeeaaaaannn of a Retired Greyhound at a Greyhound Rescue Stall might just tilt the balence) wink

SelectAUserName Sat 08-Mar-14 22:06:54

Don't get a retired greyhound if there are cats on the premises, unless the rescue has thoroughly cat-tested the dog in question or you are prepared to keep the dog muzzled when it's outside. The majority of them have a naturally high prey drive and have then been trained to chase a small furry object.

A good-natured Staffie would be perfect for your situation. So many of them are great with other dogs, cats, children...they make such fantastic family dogs, and rescues are groaning with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now