If we got a 6 month old puppy, how long would you take off work?

(11 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 16:01:02

There are puppies just born in the family grin They are with SIL and MIL in the UK, we live in Germany.

DH is quite taken with the idea of bringing one of them over here in August, but we both work - me only part time, there would be someone in the house at all times except for 3 mornings a week until about 2pm. His idea is that SIL and MIL can crate train/toilet train the dog and we won't have to take long off work. I've not owned a dog before. He admits he's feeling a bit soppy at the moment (it was "his" dog who had the puppies).

Realistically what do you think would be fair to plan? We could take some time off work but even if the dog is happy in a crate it's still a new house, new people, new environment etc.

OhNoYouExpedidnt Mon 03-Mar-14 16:18:28

That seems fair. I took two weeks off when I got my puppy at 8 weeks. It meant I had plenty of time to settle her. DH works from home but she has always been left for up to 4 hours.

I would say that if it is 8-2 that is quite a while for a puppy to not have a wee. We have never left our now 5 year old dog for more that 5 hours as a one off. Is there anyone that can let it out for a wee?

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 16:48:36

Ooh, I didn't think about it needing a wee! You can tell I've only had cats!

I don't know, we could possibly ask our landlady, she has a dog and lives just behind us. But assume not. That could be a problem.

LEMmingaround Mon 03-Mar-14 17:01:06

5 hours in a crate during the day is too long, just put some paper down! have someone let him out for a piddle

LEMmingaround Mon 03-Mar-14 17:07:22

What sort of dog is it? do you have children? Has your landlord given you permission to have a dog? It isn't cheap to move a dog from one country to another, it will need a pet passport - probably looking at £200 in vets fees (although might not be so much if not wanting to return dog to uk) plus transport, although i suppose you could drive him over - are dogs allowed on the shuttle?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 03-Mar-14 17:28:11

Dogs are allowed on the shuttle, however, you are subject to the transport of animals act so will need to stop every 2 hours and also have full rest stop every 8 hours.

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 17:51:14

I think we're leaning towards not because the apartment is too small really. But hypothetically grin We have permission, although it would be a pain when we move to find somewhere who will take one. They are springer spaniels. I could be wrong about the crate, not sure how it works. I know DH had his puppy in a (large) crate in his bedroom and then as she got older the whole room became "her space".

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 17:52:27

We have a 5yo. We know about the pet passport - although I'm not sure if there's a minimum age of the animal? I know if wanting to avoid quarantine they need to be in an EU country for more than 6 months.

LEMmingaround Mon 03-Mar-14 17:52:58

A springer spaniel cooped up in an apartment all day = madness, seriously

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 18:05:31

Right. Turns out DH thought I only worked one morning a week and/or could cut down to only being out of the house for a maximum of 3 hours confused

I think he has baby brain grin

LEMmingaround Mon 03-Mar-14 18:51:09

ah no, he has a man brain grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now