Where should new pup sleep?

(18 Posts)
hmc Mon 03-Mar-14 13:37:36

He comes home tomorrow aged exactly 8 weeks. We have a crate for him in the utility room downstairs where ultimately he will sleep, but I am thinking it is a bit harsh to expect him to settle downstairs on his own after only just being taken from his mum and litter mates and everything familiar, and plonked into a new environment? If I was to put him in our room would this be a no -no? I am not anticipating that he will sleep up there long term - perhaps just the first few days?

hmc Mon 03-Mar-14 13:46:10

haggisaggis Mon 03-Mar-14 13:48:55

Yes put him in your room. We put our pup in our room in a large cardboard box - it also meant I could hear him when he needed out in the night. Ours does still sleep in our room - we're quite happy with this - but you will be able to move him downstairs after a few weeks.

hmc Mon 03-Mar-14 13:58:20

Thanks haggis

Racerider Mon 03-Mar-14 14:16:52

Up to you ! Our pup whined for the first night or two in her crate downstairs but within less than a week was quiet all night. We pop down once a night to let her out to wee on the grass though.

We did a compromise arrangement to the two suggested.

I agree, he's a tiny baby, just separated from his littermates and mum, so it's a lot to expect for him to be alone in the utility room, plus you don't want separation issues later either.

We slept downstairs, right next to the crate initially. Next night, we slept a little further away, gradually withdrew. It only took two or three nights.

The new puppy had the older dog for company, so settled immediately.

Good luck, we our puppy is 14 weeks, can't believe it - has gone so quickly smile

Pufflemum Mon 03-Mar-14 15:22:27

Could you sleep downstairs near the pup for the first few nights? At least then she is getting used to her new sleeping area. I did this with our eight week old. The first two nights she cried occasionally but I would shoosh her. Since then she has been fine. After four days she was dry all night too and I moved back upstairs to bed.

Yes, both ours were crated but dry at night really quickly too smile

hmc Mon 03-Mar-14 17:30:02

That's a good idea - I could take an airbed downstairs to sleep near him. Can't imagine dh will complain about having the bed to himself!

Butterflylovers Mon 03-Mar-14 17:40:13

Be careful his fangs won't burst the air bed. grin

hmc Mon 03-Mar-14 18:21:44

Ha ha - I'll make sure that I am just out of nibbling reach!

HuskyWoman Mon 03-Mar-14 18:26:52

We had first night with new pup last night.

He slept on our bed. He has a crate he has napped in during the day, he might end up there or not. grin

I got very little sleep last night...

noddingoff Mon 03-Mar-14 20:53:51

I slept on the kitchen floor for the first few days.
Be wary of the "direction of flow" of dogs which is thus:
outside-> inside downstairs-> upstairs-> at the foot of your bed -> on your bed-> in your bed
You can arrest the flow but it is very hard to reverse the direction of flow (in fact I have never seen it happen, except in dogs that were so old and senile that they didn't really know where they were and didn't mind sleeping in the kitchen for the last couple of years)

hmc Mon 03-Mar-14 21:17:11

Ha ha noddingoff - ain't that the truth. We already have a dog - an 8 year old. She has always slept downstairs but with the demise of our other dog we felt sorry for her, believed her to be 'lonely' and she ingratiated herself upstairs on our bed for just a few nights. It's take a good while to undo that and get her back downstairs again!

hmc Mon 03-Mar-14 21:18:12

Hope you have more sleep tonight HuskyWoman smile

Doggymammy Mon 03-Mar-14 21:46:35

When we brought our pup home she slept in a crate the first night. But the crying was unbearable! So she ended up in our bedroom by the second night. After a couple of weeks she was able to jump onto the bed, so after a week or so of putting her back on the floor we eventually let her stay up. Now she sleeps under the covers!! I wouldn't have it any other way (she gives the best morning cuddles).

If you do decide to crate her, we didn't realise this at the time but you are supposed to put a sheet over the crate to make it a den.

Good luck!

HuskyWoman Mon 03-Mar-14 21:48:28

Thank you, hmc. He's too nice to be grumpy at. My only advice is just go with what feels right.

Please post pics of your new pup and older boy for us to awwww over. grin

hmc Wed 05-Mar-14 14:56:01

I am beyond knackered after the first night. it is like being a new mum again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now