walking a dog in season

(18 Posts)
whatwoulddexterdo Mon 03-Mar-14 07:43:35

My dog is now on day ten of her season and I have walked her everyday but pavement walks only and on lead. She hasn't been interested in any dogs until yesterday. She also hasn't had any attention from other dogs.
Yesterday she sprayed (hope that is the correct term) 4 times she has never done this before.
She is still bleeding, the blood is still bright red.
Is it ok to keep walking her or should I keep her in now?
Also if I keep her in how do I occupy her? We only have a very small garden, she cant run in it.

Booboostoo Mon 03-Mar-14 08:36:00

Sorry but I wouldn't walk a bitch in season at all. Not fair on her and not fair on other dogs.

Have you considered getting her spayed? Best thing all around.

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 03-Mar-14 08:41:53

I am getting her spayed after her first season don't really want to debate that though

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 03-Mar-14 08:52:41

Sorry Booboo if that came over as sharp, didn't mean it to.

Springcleanish Mon 03-Mar-14 08:56:14

We did lead walks throughout and just kept to times/ places where we were unlikely to meet other dogs or could cross over. She seemed to want less exercise during her season. No dogs seemed very interested in her, I suspect as she gets older other dogs interest would increase, but like you we're getting her spayed now her first season is out of the way.

We just finished first season and have booked to get her spayed and she is walked daily during the day on lead with no issues.

PeanutPatty Sat 08-Mar-14 22:51:29

We walked on lead only during our bitch's season. We walked early morning and late evening on pavements. Could you find a tennis court which is enclosed and use it early morning and allow her to run free with a training mine attached?

Pooka Sat 08-Mar-14 22:59:06

I don't think it's fair on other dogs (in tact male).

A friend had a dog that hadn't yet been neutered (guide dog puppy walking) that nearly killed itself running into oncoming traffic trying to get across a road to a bitch in heat.

Arudonto Sun 09-Mar-14 14:46:34

Of course you can walk a dog in season, are people really expecting the poor dog to be confined to house rest?simply because she is female and people might not be able to control the dogs they chose to keep entire? well thats a great double standard.

If you choose to have an entire dog they you should be aware that they may look for bitches in heat when let off the lead...and chose places to let them off accordingly if they cannot be trusted. Its not the bitches owners fault your friend couldn't control her puppy!if it was a cat running across the road the same thing could have happened!

Sensible precautions for walking like choosing less popular areas and time(later in evening.early morning) to walk in,keeping her on a leash and driving to places so out of control dogs wont follow you home apply though.

tabulahrasa Sun 09-Mar-14 14:54:41

It's not just entire males btw... I've had neutered males who were just as keen and I know a couple who'll complete the whole act.

And the problem is that you don't know your dog can't be trusted with a bitch in season until you meet one.

As a male dog owner, a bitch on lead - especially in quieter times and places is fine...but you are trusting other dog owners to be sensible and not let their dog come over because yours is on lead - unfortunately I find that they're not.

It depends really whether you live somewhere with more responsible dog owners than I do.

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 09-Mar-14 16:20:54

I am keeping her on lead with pavement walks only. We have come across entire males, one of lead, and I have called out that my girl is in season and they have leaded him up.
I have just checked with my vet and she says this is fine.
I can't keep her in for three weeks!!

CalamityKate Sun 09-Mar-14 16:24:08

I didn't take mine out and about at all during her first, and only season. Loads of off lead dogs round our way and just didn't see the need to take the risk.

She's a collie/poodle cross so fairly high energy but I upped her training, did loads of clicker work with her and she was absolutely fine. Using their brain knackers them nicely smile

MrsJoeHart Sun 09-Mar-14 16:26:35

One of my dog walking pals has had a difficult week because someone is walking their bitch in season in the park. My friend has three male dogs, one entire (on recommendation of the vet) and he will rush over to the bitch and follow her the whole way around the field. So df has to keep him on the lead, so he's not getting the exercise he needs, she's been having to leave work to give him a second walk. So, I do think its unfair to walk a bitch in season tbh. If you really must then go at unpopular times of day.

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 09-Mar-14 17:10:16

Its not unfair to walk a bitch in season as long as you do it sensibly.

We have pavement walked our in season bitch for the last 3 weeks with no issues.

Why should she not get a nice walk?

It's stopped now and she is booked for her op.

PeanutPatty Mon 10-Mar-14 08:34:57

You don't have to keep her in for three weeks but the kindest and safest thing you can do is walk her really early and/or really late at night on lead along the pavements. You are high unlikely to meet off lead dogs and any on lead dogs you can cross the road to avoid. You are setting yourself up for trouble not adjusting your routine whilst she is in season. You could have males following you home or taking advantage up the park and then you will have puppies to eventually rehome.

Varya Sat 15-Mar-14 17:04:41

Sorry, I would not walk the bitch in season. Have her spayed and then walk her every day!

Aquelven Sun 16-Mar-14 19:33:57

I'd never walk a bitch in season. Apart from the practical issues, her immunity is reduced & she's more likely to pick up any infection going around. Reduced immunity is nature's way of ensuring any fertilised eggs are able to implant without being rejected by the bitch's immune system.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now