Insurance woes!!

(11 Posts)
moggiek Fri 28-Feb-14 19:19:42

This is my own fault, but I need to vent! We have three large dogs, all insured since they came out of the egg. Anyway, December 2012, No 1 dog falls ill. After much testing, it turns out to be immune mediated haemolytic anaemia, fatal without treatment, chronic with expensive medication - circa £100 a week. Thank goodness for Direct Line!!! Blood tests every 4 or 5 weeks to check progress, and we are able to stabilise him on half strength medication. Just had a letter from DL, letting me know that my policy only covers a period of 12 months treatment for the same ailment, and that has now been reached. I'm so angry with myself. I'm usually pretty good at keeping on top of these things, but I've dropped the ball this time. Rant over.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 28-Feb-14 19:56:46

What a nightmare for you. Is there anything DL can do for you - like backdate and pay a bit extra? Insurance companies can be a little bit flexible.

moggiek Fri 28-Feb-14 20:27:33

I'll certainly give it a try!

Floralnomad Fri 28-Feb-14 20:30:16

TBH the only thing you could have done differently is to have a whole life policy in the first place and that's the risk you take , once the problem was diagnosed you were effectively stuffed .

unobtanium Sat 01-Mar-14 14:44:23

Not clear what you could have done to avoid this. It is standard that insurers pay bills for the same ailment for a year then stop reimbursing. How would your keeping on top of the situation got around this?

I sympathise with anyone who has insurance woes, btw! I have been royally stuffed by silly technicalities in the past.

cashewfrenzy Sat 01-Mar-14 17:43:54

That's not the case unob. All policies vary and some offer lifetime cover or cover up to a certain financial limit.

That's a shame OP. What meds is your dog on?

nuttymutty1 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:47:11

Amazing website to help you select the best dog insurance for you. Created by an independent dog lover who has nothing to do with insurance just waded through all the policies and small print for us smile

pet insurance website

Aked Sat 01-Mar-14 17:53:09

Having just put in a claim for 1300 for my cat, I am praying to the God of Petplan myself at the moment!

What meds is he being maintained on?

moggiek Sun 02-Mar-14 22:53:09

I think If I couldn't do anything, I should have been aware that the insurance was coming to an end, and it wouldn't have been such a shock!
He's on Atopica, currently 50mg per day. It's an immunosuppressant, so it stops his immune system destroying his red blood cells.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 03-Mar-14 17:39:36

Can you get a prescription from your vet and order the meds over the internet to reduce costs?

WeAllHaveWings Mon 03-Mar-14 17:45:04

£1.63 per 50mg capsule at this place, but you would need to add on price of vets prescription to work out if it would be cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now