Does anyone else sit here in floods of tears...

(19 Posts)
CaptainTripps Tue 18-Feb-14 14:55:07

...upon reading the threads about the passing of our lovely pets or putting our beloved ones to sleep?

It's still so raw for me as we had our old boy pts 6 months ago.

But I do find it strangely cathartic too. I have a good old weep then I'm good to go. I find it so comforting too that there are others out who I have these sad moments in common with. I suppose it makes me feel less alone. Does all that make sense?

I have a new pup now and life moves on. But I still catch myself now and again having a moment.

Bassetfeet Tue 18-Feb-14 15:06:54

I too well up when reading about the passing of a dearly loved animal . How they get into your heart .
Enjoy your new puppy OP ......what breed have you got ? And for sure it is ok to cry with memories of past loved pets . As you say a little weep and you can cope . Good luck with your new puppy . All that love doesn't disappear x

Owllady Tue 18-Feb-14 15:41:06

Yes it is upsetting sad
I have lost two dogs within two years too, though I think knowing other people grieve for their dogs too makes me feel normal.
I know this sounds silly, but it's also nice to know all these dogs were lucky enough to be loved by nice people too.

WeeClype Tue 18-Feb-14 15:47:43

I can't read them hmm, my 2 GSD's are 5 and I dread them reaching old age.

Snugglepiggy Tue 18-Feb-14 15:55:02

Same here.Lost our fantastic old boy last year and no dog can ever replace him,because every dog's unique in its own way.
We have 2 new pups - yes 2! - a brother and sister and they are adorable.Although the first month was very hard work - mainly down to the dreadful weather making run outs with two wet ,cold and seemingly endless - it's getting much easier.And their personalities are really staring to develop ,with many hilarious and heart warming moments.
But I still catch myself thinking of one special dog we rescued over 13 years ago,and always will I guess.Just like our lovely collie girl that went before him.Only this morning as DH was leaving the house he said ' I was just thinking about my boy' and it meant so much that he feels the same.But he can still well up thinking about his first 'own' dog that died 25 years ago- softie!

SecretNutellaFix Tue 18-Feb-14 16:05:19

Three and a half years for me and no hope of ever realistically filling the mutt shaped hole in my heart. I sob. I am not ashamed to admit it

Bowlersarm Tue 18-Feb-14 16:07:57

I can't read them. I can't bear the thought of having to make a decision about ours when the time comes. They aren't old yet, so hopefully have many years ahead, but I get a tear on my eye if I think about it. So I don't!

PassAFist Tue 18-Feb-14 16:10:51

I always have a good cry for the OP and for my old boy that we lost last year.

I also have a good cry over the why-would-any-right-thinking-parent-have-a-dog-in-their-house threads. It makes me so sad that there are actually people that think that way, they have no idea what they are missing.

JKramer Tue 18-Feb-14 16:37:14

I have two boys who are very close in age (5 and 8 months).
They have bonded.
They play and fight but they always end up cuddling each other every night.
I dread the day when one of them becomes ill or pass away.
It would break the other one�s heart and ours.

nuttymutty1 Tue 18-Feb-14 16:50:10

Me too they can always set me off. A puddle made me emotional last week as I remembered my old rolling in it last year sad <need to get a grip>

notanotherusername1 Tue 18-Feb-14 17:07:16

I can't read them either. I tried to tell my husband about a little memorial stone someone had handpainted with RIP message to their beloved dog and placed by a tree on our dog walk but I could not get the words out. Have never been able to stop and read, it's just a very simple poem but it's heartbreaking. I can picture them placing the stone and yet their little friend who would normally be by their side is gone. sad

I am so sorry to think of anyone going through this pain.

iseenodust Tue 18-Feb-14 17:10:47

Tears well. Our lab is 14 and literally on his last legs. Thinking about what is to come sets me off too.

daisy5569 Tue 18-Feb-14 18:22:30

Oh yes I often blub like a big baby reading threads on this page. Brings back memories of finding my old JRT girly had died while I was out at the end of last September, I have lost animals in the past but she was really special and just thinking of her makes me cry...Also lost a loved old horse friend earlier this year in awful circumstances, collapsed while out on a hack and died while I sat there with him. ... So this makes me treasure my current old doggie all the more, he is old too at 15, not sure how I will cope when he has gone....I'm sure one day I will let another little dog into my life, they give so much enjoyment even though it hurts when they go....Oh and I'm blubbing again now sad

thedogwakesuptoodamnearly Tue 18-Feb-14 18:33:48

I've only had my boy 3 months but he has changed my life. Some people say dogs have no souls so we won't see them again, and that thought makes me cry. But we have a long time together before that happens, I hope.

EasyToEatTiger Tue 18-Feb-14 19:49:51

Some deaths matter more than others. Yes I sit here in floods of tears. I think I hope beyond hope that my dearest doggy friends will live forever. Hairy love is just a little bit of heaven for me.

toboldlygo Tue 18-Feb-14 20:00:14

I work in a veterinary practice so see lots of dogs come and go, even holding them sometimes for the last bit and making arrangements for what happens afterwards. I never get upset at the time, and of course the flip side is all the new puppies coming in. Some days though I do get home, hold my dogs close and remind myself to be thankful for every moment I have with them. I can make myself upset and weepy by imagining what it will be like when they're gone and then I have to go and sniff their feet to remind me that they're still here. blush

It is absolutely okay and normal to have a cry - it's part of the grieving process, and that's exactly what it is, genuine grief and loss. Non dog people simply don't understand ('Will you get another dog?" is not a helpeful question!) and can be surprised by the length and depth of the sadness that follows losing a pet.

This letter by Sue Perkins made me blub, proper snot-bubble weeping.

francesdrake Tue 18-Feb-14 22:16:48

In a weird way, I'm happy to be sad at the mourning threads, because they balance out all the equally heart-breaking tales of dogs who aren't loved, and are passed from pillar to post, not knowing how to please their owners, and never knowing that security and comfort. I'm glad there are dogs out there who are part of people's families, and who are missed and mourned for the happiness they gave their human companions.

goes off to sniff dog's feet too

SecretNutellaFix Wed 19-Feb-14 19:10:34

Not just on here either.

I cry when my friends pets die, naturally or helped along due to illness.

toldmywrath Wed 19-Feb-14 20:28:05

I've got a lump in my throat just reading this thread.
I love your name thedogwakesuptoodamnearly smile (and I can empathise with that statement)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now