This Thursday 9pm on chn 5 what is in dog food. Will you be watching?

(59 Posts)

I'm really looking forward to watching the programme as a new dog owner and a raw feeder I'm hoping the programme reflects the benifit a of raw feeding and exactly what is put in dry and wet dog food.

After researching dry dog food ingredients I'm horrified that I used to eat dog biscuits when I was little!

YoureBeingASillyBilly Thu 30-Jan-14 22:43:21

Im just watching the start of this now. I am confused, i thought it was known now that dogs arent descended from wolves?

It's all about the stomach acid and the way food is digested.

I thought it was very er ....Channel 5 wink. A basic nod at what could have been interesting with very little content and utterly shied away from tackling just how appalling foods like Bakers are. I don't expect it too slate kibbe, clearly it suits some dogs but there are variations.

Still it could have been worse <wanders off to prepare for the next round of salmonella ds will contract from all the raw chicken wink>

getdownshep Fri 31-Jan-14 11:11:59

I would like to try this on my dogs but have a few questions first.
The first week I just give them chicken mince, 60g, twice a day as they are small dogs. In week two do I just give them two 60g chicken legs!
Sorry if I'm being dense, maths is not my strong point and there seems to be a lot of percentages to work out.

Chicken legs/wings twice a day would be too much bone for most dogs getdownshep The idea is start with chicken for the first couple of weeks and then introduce other meats. Don't get too hung up on percentages to the point where you are going nuts but use it at a common sense start.

You are looking for a diet that is 80% meat/10% bone and 10% offal (leave offal till later on)

A small chicken wing may weigh 80g and be around 50% bone. Feeding a small dog I would give a boneless meal either side. Maybe give chicken mince for a week and then in week 2, try another meat source...maybe green tripe as very good for them and boneless. You could then feed tripe/wing/tripe. Again, i wouldn't worry too much about weight either...for instance it wouldn't worry me too much to give a wing of 90g. Don't forgot the percentage advice to feed is a guide only...some need a little more, some a little less. Play it by ear (or more like eye!)

Go slowly at first but when under way variety in key...I regularly feed chicken, beef, lamb, pork, duck, tripe, heart, offal, sardines and eggs.

If you haven't already join the FB page raw feeding UK. Great and plentiful advice in there and lots of newbies asking questions at the minute after last night so it is a good time to leap in.

CEvert Fri 31-Jan-14 12:27:44

Yes, I do think that most people have a ceiling amount that they are willing or able to spend on dogfood.
Nice fresh meats do cost more than the cheap ingredients in most commercial dog food, so it's not in the big brands interest to find out if raw diet is more beneficial.

getdownshep Fri 31-Jan-14 14:07:20

Thanksfan for the good advice.
I have joined the raw food group so will keep reading what other people have asked!
I have a butchers near me so I will go and see what they sell.

"we are all poo obsessed"
Me too! I feed my dog raw and I take great delight when his poos bounce or roll rather than slop out grin

I'm a fan of raw feeding but it's not always easy. My local butchers never have bones for example, and I've had to buy a small chest freezer just for the dog meat (he's a large dog)! But I have the meat delivered in bulk by Albion Meat Products which is convenient, and I'm happier feeling more in control of my dog's diet than when feeding dry.

We now use a dustpan and brush to sweep them up, can't imagine doing that before grin

Thanks for the link I will take a look. I'm buying for a local nurserie at the minute and I also buy from www.davidsdoggiedinners.co.uk

My butcher has offered to get a pluck for me, I hope he offers to chop it up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now