if you dont pick up your dog poo....

(152 Posts)
pollyputthekettleonagain Thu 23-Jan-14 12:51:46

can you please tell me why?

Now i know most people on here are responsible dog owners who pick up EVERY time.

BUT on a forum of this size, there must be at least one person who is willing to admit it, and explain why.

I just dont get why you would leave your dog poo in the street.

NCISaddict Thu 23-Jan-14 14:44:25

I would if my dog went on pavements, he refuses to, I do if he poos anywhere where people walk but if he shoves his arse right into a bramble bush then no, I can't reach it so I assume no one else can.
Funnily enough where i live there seems to be very little dog poo left where people walk, I think I've seen one poo on the pavement in the last year. Do we live in a very well mannered area or are the local dog wardens scary?

lainiekazan Thu 23-Jan-14 14:45:58

Yes, pensioners... There is one old lady in the next road. I saw her hobbling along with her dog who did a poo iright n the middle of the pavement. I stood and watched as she totally ignored it as it steamed resplendently. I think it's a case of some pensioners can't physically bend down and also in their lifetime it was quite acceptable to leave dog poo.

My granny had a dog who roamed free goodness knows where all day. And goodness knows where he was pooing. But noone gave two hoots back then.

RobinSparkles Thu 23-Jan-14 14:48:16

Also, at the risk of generalising - apologies to those who have lovely, responsible children - but I see a lot of children/teenagers walking the family dog and I wonder if they pick up. I know that I wouldn't have liked to as a teenager as I would have been disgusted! (Good thing we didn't have a dog!)

I also see loads of people with their dogs off leads, chit chatting to their mates, not watching the dog and the dog doing alsorts.

Where I used to live there was a bloke with two bichons and he used to let them off the lead round the estate. While he'd be chatting to someone they would be wandering in people's gardens, peeing on their plants. I didn't see them poo as I would have told him but I bet did on other occasions.

Thumbcat Thu 23-Jan-14 14:48:43

I'd love to have a word with the charming person who walks their huge (if the poo is anything to go by) dog down the residential street where my sons infant school is. Every day we have to dodge piles of it. I can't imagine being brazen enough to let my dog take a huge crap on the path outside a school and then just strolling off.

AwfulMaureen Thu 23-Jan-14 14:48:50

I have forgotten bags and have gone looking for something to use....picked a bag out of a bin once...another time I walked to the shop, got a bag and then returned to the area. In my defence I was looking after someone elses dog and wasn't used to the routine. I'd NEVER leave poo on the ground.

SirChenjin Thu 23-Jan-14 14:52:06

I think the 'chatting and not seeing it' is definitely one possibility, as is the 'dog walking way ahead of its owner and then taking a crap out of sight' is another - but neither are excuses.

pist Thu 23-Jan-14 14:52:13

I have definitely seen people outside my house looking around to check if they are being watched, which causes me to stand by the window WATCHING until they have trundled off with the bag .

There seems to be a fashion around here for bagging, then leaving the bag which I find even more offensive than if it is just left (bad enough). At least eventually it will rain away if it's left au naturel.

Personally I bag it if it's anywhere near where a child could get to it, but leave it if in thick undergrowth etc. Many of the more natural woodlands/parks around here request that you do it that way.

stickysausages Thu 23-Jan-14 14:52:27

I always pick up, so does DH. Except as above when dog was ill & it was too runny... but it was on waste ground, not a path or pavement.

I will admit to not binning the bag every single time though, on one walk there are no bins for miles & I refuse to carry a bag of shite that far, so I bag it & place it in gutter for the sweeper machine (it's a main road) I've never passed it again, so it's swept regularly

punter Thu 23-Jan-14 14:53:23

On our wooded walk there is a dog poo bin at the start. I have lost count of the times I have seen great piles of poo NEXT to the bin as obviously the dog needs to go as soon as it arrives at the entrance. There is also a notice saying 'there is no such thing a dog poo fairy'. Presumably these numpties cannot read either.
When I have used/forgotten/got the wrong coat on/ bags I have used DH's handkerchief - he was not amused. So he now carries extra bags, result.

RobinSparkles Thu 23-Jan-14 14:53:58

It's awful when you have a pram as it's sometimes impossible to dodge and it's HORRIBLE when you have walking children who don't look where they're going!!!

stickysausages Thu 23-Jan-14 14:54:35

I once ran out of bags, dog did an extra surprise poo... I had to use a hankie to put it in the bin <boak> !!!

Floralnomad Thu 23-Jan-14 14:56:32

robin my son doesn't walk the dog for the very reason that he doesn't want to pick up after him. I always pick up in the country side if its remotely near a path and always pick up in the local woods . My husband thinks people deliberately walk their dogs in the dark so that they don't feel obliged to pick up poo. For all those saying you bury it ,what do you do carry a trowel about ?

I have bagged, put to one side, carried on walking for an hour on a circular route, and picked back up again on the way back. I did forget once, but did the route the next day and retrieved. They are always hidden away, I don't figure out the folk who leave them dangling from trees etc?

UriGeller Thu 23-Jan-14 14:57:06

There a plenty of "big boys" around here who will glare at anyone and everyone while their bully breed on a thick leather leash shits in the middle of the pavement then strut off like a big cock.

Wankers. But what do you do? I've never seen one of those types with poop bags but they all love owning a shit machine of an animal.

LOL Floral at the trowel comment!!!

Ive told this story before but here goes anyway!
Many years ago my late dh was weeding in our front garden and happened to stand up just after a man walking a big down came past. Not knowing that dh was watching he let the dog do an enormous crap on the side of the path and went to carry on walking. Dh then said very loudly ""I do hope you are going to pick that up sir???" The man jumped out of his skin and fumbled in his pockets. The only thing he had was in my dh's words " a very crisply laundered white hankie" which he proceeded to pick the crap up with! grin

Toomuchtea Thu 23-Jan-14 14:58:23

Yes, it's the random surprise poos that get you. I normally have pockets stuffed with bags I have enough to pick up after ten dogs usually, but the one time I hadn't was the time dog did an extra poo. Saw there was someone in in a house across the road and knocked and asked for a plastic bag. They were a bit surprised, but happy to oblige.

I have teenagers, the 'boaking' is vastly reduced after the first few poo pick ups smile

moggle Thu 23-Jan-14 15:00:13

I thought a lot of the ones hanging from trees were due to people planning to pick them up on their way back like needastrongone says?
We used to live in Balham and there was so much shit on the pavements there. There weren't even that many dogs around, I'm convinced some of it was human. Anyway whenever we see dog poo on the pavement we wistfully say 'ah, that reminds me of Balham...'. It was a great place to live apart from the poo.

BigGlasses Thu 23-Jan-14 15:00:21

I think it is often that the dog is not in sight when it poos so the owner is not aware. Not that this is responsible ownership, but I've seen it a few times where an owner has walked past, and 100yards behind it is the dog squatting.

PixieBumbles Thu 23-Jan-14 15:08:21

I don't have dogs but used to regularly walk my parents' dogs. One of them was very particular about where he pooped when he was out (not so much in the garden at home) so if he could he would wait until he could get right in under a hedge. I still tried to pick it up but a lot of the time I had to just leave it because I physically couldn't get to it.

I felt terribly guilty once when the other one had the runs and a terrible sense of timing. He left a lovely poo puddle right in the middle of the local school gateway. Fortunately I always carried sheets of kitchen towel as well as bags (because I cannot stand the feeling of warm poo through the plastic) so I just tried to mop up as much as I could with kitchen towel. I couldn't get it all up though and I still feel awful about it!

Floralnomad Thu 23-Jan-14 15:11:14

lottie I love that , did he put it back in his pocket poo and all ?

Many years ago....

There was a dog that crapped outside DH's parents garden. Always very late at night, so the family never knew who it was.

One night DH's brother was coming home late and very pissed from the pub and caught the culprit...

DH always remembers being woken up by a panic stricken brother, say 'our kid, our kid, I've killed a man...' and seeing a bloke lying sparko in the street......

The man crossed the road from then on in.....

Canidae Thu 23-Jan-14 15:20:53

Always, always pick up poo in the street and in farmer's fields. The only time I don't is in the woods that have those 'get a stick and flick' signs.

Dog1 won't poo on lead so he is easy to predict. Dog2 will poo anywhere and often twice on one walk. I think evey coat/jacket I have is stuffed with poo bags.

LtEveDallas Thu 23-Jan-14 15:23:45

Is it Friday already? I though dog poos threads were always on Fridays?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now