Indestructable toy recommendations please?

(21 Posts)
MTBMummy Tue 21-Jan-14 15:56:05

We have a lovely pointer collie cross who is now 6 months, he loves his soft toys but totally and utterly destroys them.

we have tried Tuff Octopus Tuff fox and similar toys and not a single one has lasted even 30 minutes before he's ripped a part of it open, strewn stuffing all over the floor and littering the house with small bits of fabric.

Even tug toys don't last long, we've had a few of those balls on a rope and he detroys the rope and the ball.

We've tried tough chews toothybrush and they don't even last an hour

He's not teething anymore and I'd rather he destroyed them than the furniture, but surely there must be something that will at least make it a week before it's completely destroyed?

He has a Kong, which is no interest to him unless it full of treats and we don't want an overweight dog, he also has a stagbar, which he chewed a lot when teething, but has lost interest it.

Any ideas? or do I just have to face up that it's going to cost us about £100 a month in toys for him to destroy to save our furniture?

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Tue 21-Jan-14 18:01:15

I don't think there are any indestructible soft toys. We have a retriever/lab cross and he destroys all his soft toys pulling out the stuffing and squeakers. My parents are in the pet trade so you name it we've tried it.

laraeo Tue 21-Jan-14 18:54:56

Our dog is 4ish and just can't have stuffed toys for the same reasons.

We've had some luck with these:

www.petsathome.com/shop/wubba-dog-toy-x-large-by-kong-37203

www.petsathome.com/shop/ultimate-stone-bone-by-tuffy-102811

Rope toys also get torn apart in no time.

He does like Nylabones and adores balls.

HoneyDragon Tue 21-Jan-14 18:58:50

We've got a climbing frame in the back garden which has thus far proved to be our most indestructible chew toy.

Only cost £400 wink

We stick to rope tugs. She does destroy them eventually but it takes longer to do and they're relatively cheap. She has a collection in various states of unravel and destruction.

My border terrier destroys things too. His toy box is full of rags he does a 'Harvey and rabbit' number on if I try to.throw them!

The kong wubba posted above lasted him less than 20 minutes!

headlesslambrini Wed 22-Jan-14 07:33:14
headlesslambrini Wed 22-Jan-14 07:33:52
MTBMummy Wed 22-Jan-14 13:30:50

Thanks for the advice, I must admit he loves chunks of logs to chew and while they're cheap (free) he still tries to shake them around and has almost destroyed our TV on a number of occasions.

I have to give one of those comforters a try, that would be amazing if it worked

HoneyDragon that's my concern, he seems particularly keen on an old antique chest, not sure what it's worth if anything but it's been around a few generations.

I'm tempted to try a few bits of old fabric just cut up and tied together, I think I've got some sheep and tiger left over from making costumes for DD, those won't do him any damage will they?

moosemama Wed 22-Jan-14 15:49:20

Watch the log chewing, my old girl nearly died as a result of infection from splinters that travelled through her oesophagus wall and then tracked through her neck.

My dogs have split deer antlers from these people and the pup has never chewed anything he shouldn't, to date - although I am aware I have probably just jinxed myself by saying that! grin Neither of them liked the whole antler-type ones, but both love a good chomp on the split ones.

My pup is 7 months old and loves soft toys more than anything else, but his favourite trick is to eviscerate them and spread the stuffing around the living room. hmm So, we have several to rotate and spares of his favourites and I keep a close eye on him and remove any he manages to puncture then repair them myself before they become rags. I sat this morning and sewed up five holes on his favourite goose toy. It's been sewn/darned so many times over the last 6 months, but is still going strong.

His other favourite is basically made out of long strips of jersey or fleece material knotted/plaited together to make a wide pull toy. It's a bit like this, except I do them wider and flatter by doing diagonal knots using 4 to 6 strips at a time, so they last longer. The good thing about them is that they tend not to damage anything when hurled around the room by a manic puppy! grin You can use anything from old tshirts or fleeces to old jersey sheets and can pick up clothes for pence in charity shops to use, which makes them so much cheaper than buying toys from pet shops.

moosemama Wed 22-Jan-14 15:54:21
Aquelven Wed 22-Jan-14 18:42:35

Watching hopefully grin

My Skye Terriers have destroyed every toy they've ever had. You name it Kongs( including the big black ones) stag horns, rope pulls, the very, very biggest Nylabones they've eaten the lot.

Someone once suggested I try them with a length of drainpipe when the water board were digging up the lane confused

moogalicious Wed 22-Jan-14 19:26:46

Kong extreme (the black ones) - they do balls, treat dispensers, frisbees in this range. I have a staffie/collie x and this is the only toy he can have - anything else gets wrecked. The kong extreme toys barely have a tooth mark after months of chewing and bouncing down the stairs!

Lorialet Wed 22-Jan-14 21:43:19

My vizsla shreds soft toys within minutes. I bought her an "indestructable" ball toy which lasted about 20 minutes. The longest lasting thing she's had so far is one of those rubber rings that cost about £2 from the pet shop. She's had it for over a year now and she loves it ~ even takes it to bed with her.

Hercy Wed 22-Jan-14 22:36:15

Second the kong extreme range, my boy also loves the kong squeez range, which have lasted us well.

moosemama Thu 23-Jan-14 10:41:52

Gounuts are supposed to be indestructable and if your dog does destroy them I think they'll replace them free of charge, as they come with a lifetime guarantee.

MTBMummy Fri 24-Jan-14 19:38:59

Right we have a winner, I've take 4 strips of tiger fabric and tied them tightly in a variety of knots and he is over the moon, he tugs chews and throws it about and he's not wrecked it yet.

Best of all its used about a 1/20 of a square meter of fabric which cost me a couple of quid

He's tried but he can't destroy it

I can't recommend it enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now