Dog eating cat food

(4 Posts)
thoughtsbecomethings Mon 13-Jan-14 07:21:17

My 2 kittens have begun to get fussy with their wet food. I have quite a bit that they seem to turn their noses up at. My dog thinks cat food is luxury food and scoffs the lot at ant opportunity.
Is this ok what the difference between wet dog and cat food ?

HelgatheHairy Mon 13-Jan-14 10:07:41

My dog LOVES cat food. When he was younger it did give him runny poo (but he also had colitis so had a more sensitive stomach than normal). Now he's older it just gives him very stinky farts.

I don't think there's any harm occasionally eating it (some people use it as a reward in training) but I wouldn't swap them into cat food or anything.

ClaimedByMe Mon 13-Jan-14 10:10:13

My dog loves eating the cat food and the cat and the cat poo she goes to great lengths to get to it, cat food is fine for dogs but cats shouldn't eat dog food I believe try telling my cat that

FerretsRfun Mon 13-Jan-14 10:10:34

The main difference between the two is that cat food has much higher protein levels wet and dry

If your dog is a smaller breed the after effects may show up faster/longer/more severe

The higher protein levels can cause (all dogs are different)
itchy skin
hyperactivity
loose stool

Too much cat food in a dog can also cause pancreatitis if they eat it regularly so try to limit access
Sometimes dogs that have existing liver problems can have their conditions made worse by eating cat food as well

That being said, the occasional cat food “snack” should not pose any serious health issues other than cat food breath ewwww smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now