Two dogs, and some friction

(5 Posts)
SnakeyMcBadass Sun 12-Jan-14 19:03:44

The spaniel is 2.5, and the pup is now 10 months. The pup is a PITA, leaping on the spaniel when he's sleeping etc. If he's being a nightmare, I intervene. The spaniel has mostly been very accommodating and patient, but this has changed in the last week. Twice now normal play has turned into something less friendly. The first time I didn't see what happened, but DS says that the pup bit the spaniel's ear. First I knew about it the pup came flying upstairs crying and hid under my bed. The spaniel was in growly, snarly pursuit. He made a lot of noise, harrumphed and went back downstairs to go to sleep. The pup refused to come out from under the bed for a couple of minutes. Just now, they were playing tuggy and everything was fine, then the spaniel gave his 'I'm done now' growl, clearly wanting the pup to let go. The pup didn't, and was again chased upstairs. He cried, tail tucked in, and sounded pitiful. The spaniel hasn't hurt the pup, and is generally brilliant at teaching his subordinate a lesson. This is new, though, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be doing to make sure it doesn't escalate?

Lilcamper Sun 12-Jan-14 19:17:44

It's got nothing to do with who is subordinate. Puppy is 10 months, into adolescence and has lost his puppy licence. The time where an older dog will tolerate youthful bad manners has passed.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 12-Jan-14 19:19:05

I would also like to know about this. We are thinking of getting another dog this year. I would say it's perfectly normal and he's putting the pup in his place. Just keep an eye on them and don't leave them alone together for a while? Till the pup is bigger anyway. What breed is he?

CalamityKate Sun 12-Jan-14 19:24:36

What Lilcamper said. Also I'd be wary of leaving tuggies etc around for them to get guardy over. That behaviour isn't something you want them to practise.

SnakeyMcBadass Sun 12-Jan-14 19:32:43

Ah, yes, sorry. Subordinate was my clumsy way of saying the pup is the annoying younger brother in this household grin He is a total wind up merchant, and then runs to a human for protection when the spaniel finally retaliates hmm Hadn't thought about the puppy licence, but that makes sense.

The spaniel isn't generally guardy, he just wanted to bring the tuggy to me and the pup wouldn't let him. I think he reaches the end of his patience sometimes (the pup really can be a little sod). Their toys live in a toy box in the kitchen and they are free to get them whenever they want. We have quite a lot blush so I've never felt the need to remove them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now