help! what's wrong with my dog?

(7 Posts)
permaquandry Sun 12-Jan-14 08:26:21

Mini schnauzer (1yr old) had a long walk and a boisterous play with a huge greyhound yesterday. Ever since has been licking back left paw and limping. Washed the paw out and had a good look, can't see anything in there, other than red skin where she's been licking.

It's worse this morning. Does this sound like muscle strain?

I guess it's a trip to vets if no better tomorrow, any advice of what I can do in the meantime?

Thanks.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 12-Jan-14 08:30:13

Could have trodden on something. Usual culprits small rocks, grass seeds.

When you washed out the paw did it appear to be the leg that hurt or the paw. Can you touch the leg?

Will definately need a vet. Could be he just hurt his paw or there's a thorn in it.

Or he could have fractured his leg or ruptured his ligament/tendon.

All you can do is rest him until you see a vet.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 12-Jan-14 08:31:42

If you think it's the paw it's self, just keep bathing it to keep it clean.

Strict rest. There is a possibility she has fractured a toe or something?

Your vets should provide an emergency service if you think she is suffering, even if only for pain relief until she can be x-rayed, or pain relief and to see if she improves on that alone if they don't think there is a fracture anywhere.

It could be soft tissue/muscle, or even a ligament or tendon. Any possibility really!

Is she putting her foot down at all?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 12-Jan-14 09:42:32

Oh I think you need not check pain response too. Squeeze between the toes and see if he pulls his foot back.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 12-Jan-14 09:43:12

She /her

So sorry blush

permaquandry Sun 12-Jan-14 14:28:51

Well, an update......she seems to have made a miraculous recovery, tearing around the house like a loony. She's still licking it on and off but I think whatever it was is healing.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Will see how she is tomorrow and take her to vets if worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now