Second pup pro's and con's?

(16 Posts)
Springcleanish Sat 11-Jan-14 23:20:53

We've just found out that one of the sisters of our 7 month springer is for sale, as they don't have time for her. I'm sorely tempted, please give me some impartial advice on taking on two sisters. I need to think this through in a balanced way, but my hearts screaming "do it".

HomeHypno Sun 12-Jan-14 09:11:24

There may be the usual concerns about taking on a dogthat other people haven't had time for, this could mean completely untrained with possibly lots of bad habits, sometimes 'we don't have time' translates to 'we can't be bothered and this dog was much more work than we were prepaeed for'. Therefore it may be a good idea to find out a bit more before you go ahead.

Otherwise I think it is probably absolutely fine. I have two dogs and they seem to thrive in each others company. The puppy stage is only very short and soon things stop being destroyed.... I like to think I keep a very tidy house and if you'd told me a few years ago there will be two dogs running all over it and third one being considered, I would have thought them mad. But the joy that the dogs bring is more than enough to compensate for the muddy prints etc. At least if your dogs are the same breed their needs are very similar so it won"t be double the work once the puppy stage is over.

NuttyMuttie Sun 12-Jan-14 09:26:35

There are no Pros taking two puppies from the same litter only masses of major cons.

Never ever ever do it. Not even experienced dog trainers would or should contemplate taking more than one puppy.

LilCamper posted excellent articles on an earlier thread and I have copied these below as to why having two puppies of the same age or from the same litter should be avoided at all costs. Thanks Lil smile

two puppies

double trouble

NuttyMuttie Sun 12-Jan-14 09:27:45

TBH getting a puppy when you have a 7 month old puppy could also cause the same problems. It would be better to wait until your puppy is older about 18 months before considering a puppy.

MothershipG Sun 12-Jan-14 09:35:42

I don't know if it's true but various dog people I know have said that bitches, especially sisters, can fall out spectacularly once hormones come into play, and once they do they bear a grudge and can't live together.

Floralnomad Sun 12-Jan-14 09:36:17

My mum has a brother and sister pair ,she got them both at 8 weeks old . They're a complete nightmare out of the house ,I took them to puppy socials and puppy training but the girl hates all other dogs and just encourages her brother to follow suit. They are lovely at home but crave attention and are terrifically jealous of each other if they think the other is being favoured in any way which on 2 occasions has led to quite major fighting ,once resulting in my sister needing stitches to her hand and the other time them both needing vet attention because my other sister didn't separate them . They often have minor scuffles that can be resolved by telling them off before it goes too far. We would never do it again .

Lettucesnow Sun 12-Jan-14 09:42:10

Con with getting second dog under 3 years of age: training gets undone of first dog and its more difficult to spend the same amount of time you had with your first. Im particularly thinking of the recall. Bit like having the second kid really. grin but I wouldnt change it for the world.

Springcleanish Sun 12-Jan-14 09:53:20

Thank you for all the advice so far, it's definitely helping me to think in a more considered way, with my head not my heart. We were planning a second dog when current pup gets to 2, I know this would be the sensible option. Please keep your views and experiences coming, it is very helpful.

How well trained is your puppy?

We are just about to get a working cocker, our springer is 15 months. He is pretty well trained I feel, he has passed his KC gold and we are working on scenting at the moment. Looking towards either agility or working him. Generally, he's a good example.

I am still expecting a manic first few months and to wonder what I have done at times.

Could I have got another dog when our dog was 7 months? No, I don't think I could.

Also think there would be litter mate issues and clearly, this puppy may need significant amounts of time invested in it, if it's being rehomed due to lack of commitment.

Just be FULLY aware of all the points already raised and let your head rule your heart.

ps - my DC are teens and I don't work many hours, so have time and support, do you have DC and how young are they? Extra commitment would be needed all round.

ps good luck either way!

Lilcamper Sun 12-Jan-14 12:25:36

Littermate syndrome wouldn't apply here because they have had separate lives presumably for the last 5 months.

NuttyMuttie Sun 12-Jan-14 12:39:08

Lilcamper she wants to get two puppies from the same litter plus the 7 month old pup she already has

Springcleanish Sun 12-Jan-14 12:55:47

No, we already own one springer pup, 7 months old, and last night found out her sister, also 7 months, needs to be rehomed as the owner is returning to full time work. I'd love to take her on, but want to be fully aware of the pros and cons before I make any enquiries. My children are teens and my son is a very reliable dog walker, plus my DH and I take her out every day also. She is reasonably well trained,not 100% but getting there. Recall about 90%, but better with whistle, "down" from a distance is pretty much 100%, sit, leave, off, wait, etc all pretty much in place, she's good with other dogs, plays well, but moves on when called during her walks, although we are expecting a regression as she hits her "teens".
This thread is really helping my to decide whether it is my head or my heart taking over, a few days thinking to be had.

Lettucesnow Sun 12-Jan-14 18:18:50

My first dog was 2 and was VERY obedient until we got a 10mnth old. The 10month old stills runs in front of obedient dog to stop her returning on recal. And offlead they both poop at the same time but miles apart...it becomes a treasure hunt as I never leave it! Imagine that on a dark rainy morning!

WHY did I rescue the second??? I wouldnt be without either of them though.

NuttyMuttie Sun 12-Jan-14 19:12:57

Oooooh I was being very very dim then - sorry blush.

<I still wouldn't do it though smile>

Springcleanish Sun 12-Jan-14 19:52:50

I'm definitely erring on the side of not getting her now, just hope she finds her forever home quickly, so my will power holds out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now