How to get my two dogs to be calm?

(15 Posts)
CEvert Fri 10-Jan-14 15:07:15

How to get my two dogs to be calm?

I have two dogs (aged 3 months and 6 months)
I take them out for walks but not too long as they are still quite young.
At home, these two just play constantly.
Play fighting, running up and down the house, wanting the toy the other one has even though there are plenty, there is never really any calm unless they are tired or if I put them in separate rooms.
They chase each other over the smallest things, some paper, a piece of rope …etc.
The older one was really good before I had the other pup, now they are just mischievious.

I trained them to do the basic commands, but when they are together it just falls on deaf ears.
I just want them to be able to sit and be calm.
Any suggestions or am I asking too much at this stage?

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Fri 10-Jan-14 15:50:22

You have two dogs and you want calm? aaaaahahahahahahahhahaaahahahahahaha smile They are doing what dogs do and sound lke they are having a great time. I have two terriers and they are constantly playfighting and running around - i can knacker them out by a long (and i mean LONG) walk but they will be up and jumping around later on. It can be a bit waring but on the whole i love it.

What sort of dogs are they? How long do you walk them for each day? Also, what are you feeding them? is there a particularly high protein content - that is like rocket fuel. I had a mental rottie and he would just bounce off the walls when we first got him, changing his food made a massive difference.

CEvert Fri 10-Jan-14 16:03:30

Pug/Jack Russell mix and Boston terrier/French bulldog mix.
Feeding them on home made food (lean meat mixed with veg) and kibbles.
I take them to the park which is literally 5 mins walk away and then I jog/run on grass for about 20 mins with them before coming home and letting them play a bit more in the garden. I usually take the older one out again later in the day as the younger one is only 3 months old.

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Fri 10-Jan-14 16:12:40

envy but all i can really advise is locking yourself in the bathroom and let them get on with it! They will settle a bit more as they get older. Is the kibble "complete" food? if it is, i would advise that you change to a mixer as you could be over-feeding them. I saw a french bulldog/westie the other day - i was smitten

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Fri 10-Jan-14 16:14:19

Do they get to be off-lead on their walks yet? I could walk ten miles with my dogs on the lead and they are still restless but if they get to have a good run off the lead they are much more settled. Saying that one of them is a little difficult bastard with his recall so he generally has to stay on the lead for most of the walk.

CEvert Fri 10-Jan-14 16:36:01

They are both off lead.
The recall is good with both of them and they never wander far.
There is a long rope glider in the park, so sometimes I go on that and let them chase me to the other end.
Yeah, it’s a mixer I am using.

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Fri 10-Jan-14 16:42:49

Sounds like you are doing everything right - you just have pair of boisterous puppies who sound like they are loving life! I am seriously considering carpeting the downstairs because the tap tap tap of tiny claw can drive me mad at ten o clock at night when they have one of their mad moments.

JKramer Fri 10-Jan-14 16:52:11

I found keeping their claws short helps. So regular clipping.

NuttyMuttie Fri 10-Jan-14 17:04:55

Separate them.

The puppies should have restricted time together if you have any hope in hell of training them and bonding to you rather than each other.

You are already finding that they take no notice of you when they are together this will just become more obvious if you leave them to play together.

Although not puppies from the same litter the age gap between them means that they will act as if they are.

Lilcamper Fri 10-Jan-14 17:41:39

Please read this two pups

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Fri 10-Jan-14 18:17:40

Gosh, i hadn't thought of that nuttie and lilicamper - interesting article, makes sense.

Lilcamper Fri 10-Jan-14 18:42:23
ender Fri 10-Jan-14 18:47:01

Interesting article Lilcamper. My lovely rescue GSDx was a failed adoption, previous owners got him + littermate at 3 months from rescue (pups originally from Ireland) am surprised the rescue let them adopt both. Four months later returned one (mine) to rescue saying he was "too dominant" and bullied the other dog sad.

Lilcamper Fri 10-Jan-14 20:18:01

I would love to know which rescue that was ender! Could you PM me please?

With the two puppies so close in age, tbh, you just won't get calm. Not for years. They are much more interested in each other than you.

To help yourself, you should make sure you walk them separately, train each of them separately each day and make sure you then do the same thing with them together.

And with the greatest respect in the world, they can't possibly be trained at only 3 and 6 months old. There is a good way to go yet - and when they are properly trained, they will listen to you when they're together.

How on earth did you end up with two puppies so close in age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now