AH...thought I was doing so well getting do to move off wet food to Bakers!

(17 Posts)
Antalya1 Tue 07-Jan-14 20:48:41

Our little chappie is about 2 1/2 and we've had him now for about 3 months. Since we had him he wouldn't eat dry food - Wainwrights - so kept him on wet food but he's had either very wet stools or constipation.

I have eventually got him onto dry 'meaty chunks' Bakers and he's loved it. Read just now that this is really bad for him so help!! he won't eat pure dry food so need a moist dry food - any suggestions - the only ones that I can find are either Pets at home own brand or Highlife..does anyone know if either of these are any good??

NuttyMuttie Tue 07-Jan-14 20:50:54
Lilcamper Tue 07-Jan-14 22:15:57

Have a look here dog food comparison

Floralnomad Tue 07-Jan-14 22:19:01

If you want to persevere with dry food try the lamb flavoured Barking Heads ,it has such a strong lamby smell that I'm sure most dogs would eat it .

LadyTurmoil Tue 07-Jan-14 22:53:18

James Wellbeloved white fish and rice was recommended to me. You could also think about feeding a raw diet. Very easy and doesn't need to take up acres of space in your freezer. Very satisfying watching your pooch crunch those raw bones!

FuckyNell Tue 07-Jan-14 22:54:54

The wainwrights trays are moist, good value and good quality.

mistlethrush Tue 07-Jan-14 22:59:21

Chappie in tins is known to be good for sensitive tums... Much better than Bakers apparently.

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 07-Jan-14 23:01:03

Burns pet nutrition is fab and affordable.

A family member is a breeder and recommends it.

cor, eden food looks blummin' great. I'm getting some for the trashdogs grin

WeAllHaveWings Fri 10-Jan-14 13:26:36

trash is trashdogs ok with fish? we tried Eden and it didn't work for us (tried for 4 months varying amounts etc) and we had very loose poo's and lots of wind the whole time. Its very high protein so quite rich. if you google about the internet you'll see some mixed reviews about it. I think fish may be an issue for some dogs, and the very high protein for others.

We're now on Millies Wolfheart countryside mix and ddog loves it, poo's firmed up and wind disappeared within 3 days. They also do a salmon mix which is richer and ddog has some problems with it so we only give him it as 25% of his daily food, think that might be the problem our dog had with Eden.

If knew as much about Eden before i ordered as I know now I would have still tried it but not persevered with the detoxing for so long (Eden customer support say dogs will go through this to settle onto their high protein food).

IorekByrnisonsArmour Fri 10-Jan-14 13:39:59

My old beloved dog RIP 1.5 years, would only eat Hilife. He would go without food if he wasn't offered Hilife. He was very healthy and died of old age, aged 13 years.

Our 2 dogs 1pup 10 weeks, 1 dog nearly 2 years are both on Burns. It was the food the puppy had been weaned on.

It took our dog a little time to get used to Burns (about 2 days) but he is very excited about it! Both pup and dog are doing well grin

In regards to sloppy poo and wind we swapped to raw food and haven't looked back. Poo is hard and white and such a lot less of it and no more stinky wind.

We are very newly into raw feeding so just minced chicken (80%) whizz end up veg (10%) and cooked brown rice (10%) bit over time we will add lamb bones, egg and chicken carcass.

It'd is working out no more expensive than dry/wet pet food and from what I have read it is a lot healthier for them.

MonstersBalls Fri 10-Jan-14 21:19:01

We had the same problem as Weallhavewings on Eden. It looks so good on that website, and Eden talk about the detoxing from other foods. I tried Monsterpup on it for 8 weeks before finally realising that the horrendous poos and wind, and oh god, the smell! were being caused by the food.

We changed to Skinners and haven't looked back.

weallhavewings oh right, thanks for that. Not actually sure about fish - they have been on Harringtons so far but the new dogs arse has been rotten (farts - poos fine)

I think I'm looking for something with higher meat content and no grains ideally.

monstersballs I'll check out Skinners, but intheredcorner I cannot be faffed with the raw diet - and it was brought up here once before and several folks were adamant it was dangerous.... but really I can't make time to do it blush grin

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 11-Jan-14 13:07:58

Iorek - I remember the Vet who started Burns Pet nutrition going around the shows and local pet owners etc selling his homemade product. Such a lovely man. My close family are breeders and swore by it.

He was always convinced about the quality and ingredients in his products for dogs being the best diet. Amazing animal lover, as are all of his staff.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 11-Jan-14 13:53:10

trash have alook at the millies wolfheart web page and facebook group. It's also reviewed on whichdogood. Good quality protein and grain free.

thanks I will

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now