Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on another new pointy hounds cushion!

(1000 Posts)
WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Mon 16-Dec-13 19:32:23

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound ).

Share stories, advice and shopping tips!
AK Creations
Dog O Nine Tails
Doggy Bags Bakery
Kitsch Collars
Meggie Moo
Milgi Coats
Silver Peacock

Come The Day
Come the day I take that final bend,
Can I count on you to be my friend?
To see I’m treated just and fair,
It means so much to know you care.

For, what the future holds in store,
Now that I can race no more,
Should be addressed for every hound,
Who parts the punter from his pound.

Tell them I don’t ask for much,
A kindly word, a gentle touch,
Somewhere warm to lay my head,
A meal each day to keep me fed,
Not just life- but quality,
This is how it ought to be.

Do not see me swept away,
I long to live another day,
With peace of mind, tranquillity,
And those who care surrounding me,
So tell them all- you have that choice,
I beg of you to be my voice.

By Denise Dubarbier.

I meant bearded dragon by beardie mistlethrush, I'd love a scruffy bearded lurcher but dh is worried he'd be too allergic.

I'll have a look then, we line the boot with towels but Lola digs then up and vomits underneath sad

mistlethrush Wed 18-Dec-13 13:00:37

Dogs - don't you love them! I think it would be very good for Lola. Being able to simply hoik it out of the boot and hose it down would be a distinct advantage. Have you tried her on any travel sickness tablets? DS is the one that's sick in our car... he hit the door pocket on Saturday on the way to racing that was particularly revolting and resulted in the discarding of the National Trust and English Heritage books...

I've only tried once and she was sick twice sad they advised only taking 20 mins before travelling so wondered if that was long enough. She's fine on short distances now which is nice but over 10mins she's still sick. She has got into the car on her own a couple of times too so she's obviously not quite a worried about it.

PatTheHammer Wed 18-Dec-13 14:16:48

Ewwww, dog sick. Have that joy to come I guess. Dee is an excellent traveller at the moment, I'm guessing most ex-racers do a fair amount of mileage. She sure loves any vans we come across, attempts to get in them at any opportunity.

Thanks for the duvet cover recommendations, once I've sorted Xmas i will be getting one or two I think.

So we have progressed from the basketball court to the small secure field and today to the larger secure field for a bit of off lead time.
She is doing so so well, but as of yet there have fortunately been no other distractions. Today is chucking down so she never went far from me, I just got lots of 'what the hell are we doing still out in the wet' looks from her grin

mistlethrush Wed 18-Dec-13 14:25:56

Have you got her a waterproof Pat? Same person on LL makes coats to fit (waterproof, fleecy linings).

We had a dog that had terrible travel sickness and ended up going through all the vet ones available at the time and finally ended up on the same as me - cured us both (from actually being sick at least - I still feel sick occasionally and have to be careful what I try to do in the car).

My two greyhounds have been great in the car, I assumed for the same reasons as you PatTheHammer they've been shipped about lots. In fact I had to take peanut out of the car three times on Sunday as he just kept getting back in! On the recall front peanut is great until there's something to distract him not that I want to burst yor bubble wink

PatTheHammer Wed 18-Dec-13 14:30:27

Hehe, I'm well aware that this recall will mean nothing if a rabbit suddenly appears. Or another dog! Fortunately the large field is very little used, it's rare to see other dogs there, especially in the pissing rain.

Yep, she has a waterproof with fleece lining. She's still a bit precious about getting her head wet. Maybe an umbrella is requiredwink

LostInWales Wed 18-Dec-13 15:00:15

We got a boot liner like this free when we bought our dog guard for the car. It makes the boot very luxurious for dog travel. I cover it with a fleece and by the time we get back from the beach they have self cleaned by lying on it. I love sight hounds and their easy clean fur grin.

PeanutPatty Wed 18-Dec-13 15:51:29

Pooch travels in the front footwell. No other place free. Kids in the back in mahoosive car seats. Double buggy in the boot. Only other option would be to see if the roof box is Pooch sized! wink

My two are fine with wildlife most of the time it's other dogs and people that they can't resist going to see! I am always so jealous of those people who don't have to put their dogs on leads they just wander along next to them and ignore everyone. Lola would be jumping up the first person so look at her, even on the shortest lead possible!

Ooooh that looks awesome LostInWales.

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Wed 18-Dec-13 19:25:50
LostInWales Wed 18-Dec-13 19:44:43

Cunny that one is very posh!

I'd love a dog that walked alongside me too cinnamon as it is sometimes I feel like using two martingales on whippety boy because if something is interesting he tries every trick in the book to try and go to have a nosy.

Hi everyone, just checking into new thread <waves>.

Glad to hear mistlehound is recovering nicely.

Love the duvet covers on LL, will be getting one of those in the new year once the christmas carnage is over.

MuttonCadet Wed 18-Dec-13 20:15:03

Hi, I'm new here, our gorgeous greyhound chose us (well DH mainly) 2 weeks ago and she's settled in brilliantly.
She's only 2 years old, and plays like a puppy (love her ball and toys), but walks on the lead like an angel, not bothered about other dogs and is the sweetest natured dog I have ever met.
Having had collies before I'm astounded (and relieved) by the amount she sleeps. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions for you all - I hope that's okay.
First off - how much should she be eating? We're giving her 200ml dry food plus water and oil for breakfast and a litre of food plus pasta, oily fish and water for tea. But I'm worried that might not be enough (3x30 minute walks a day), any advice? thanks

Hi MuttonCadet I don't soak my food/add water, I know that's what they have when racing but I personally prefer to leave the food dry as it's better for their teeth. My greyhound is 33Kg and has 2x 30 min walks a day, longer at weekends and usually 2 of his walks are runs (4 miles+). He has 2x weetabix with milk for breakfast and 100g dry food, 200g dry food for lunch and 200g dry food for tea. He has sardines in oil twice a week mixed into his food and a raw chicken wing every other day. Plus treats. He plays too, which is a big change from the greyhound we lost in May, mostly with our whippet x but he does play with toys sometimes.

Sounds like Lola LostInWales!

How's dd now TooOldForGlitter?

MuttonCadet Wed 18-Dec-13 20:59:16

Thanks Cinnamon, we'll try without the water in the food as we've been warned about the fact that greyhounds can have issues with their teeth.
She's always got water down so it wouldn't make any difference to her hydration.
Weetabix for breakfast sounds like a plan, I'll see if she fancies some at the weekend (currently away with work and missing the whole family --but especially the dog--)

That's what he had while he was with the trainer so I carried it on. Our whippet x was a bit flummoxed by milk and cereal when we first gave it to her but she'll growl at him to stay away if he finishes before her smile

PatTheHammer Wed 18-Dec-13 21:11:54

Oh Dee loves a weetabix, I've only been giving it to her at weekends as I thought it wasn't good to have too much milk? Is milk ok?

We've switched to Skinners dry food as its much cheaper than what we had. She prefers it, I give it dry but with oily fish twice weekly. Having read the instructions on the pack for the first time the other day I think I may have been over feeding her, but if your dogs are having about 500g per day then maybe she's getting about right.
She is 26kg and is walked over 1 hour per day in 3 stints.

Mine are fine with milk but I think it can upset them if they have sensitive tummies.

LostInWales Wed 18-Dec-13 21:51:26

my puppy doesn't have a rusk for supper, oh no

mistlethrush Thu 19-Dec-13 10:23:26

Mistlehound has a sensitive stomach and we would not be able to give her wheatabix in milk every day - a tiny bit occasionally is OK, but not much and not too often. She loves vegetables though - and had sprouts for supper. She's not going to know what's hit her when she stops getting treats - she had scrambled eggs for breakfast yesterday to make sure her pills went down with some food - and she had mackerel in tomato sauce the night before - and some homemade bolognaise with lots of veg. But she's not getting much exercise at the moment so we are spoiling her a bit.

CMOTDibbler Thu 19-Dec-13 10:37:46

I hate to think what would happen to cmotdog if I gave him wheatabix and milk. His tummy is very sensitive, and even carrots upset him. 1/4 of a croissant (left on the side by ds) caused 2 days of incredible squits last week.

Hope the vets come back with the results today MT

She's fine thanks for asking cinnamon. I'm very proud of her tbh. She's been grooming him nightly and i've had her stand by my side while I do his food and have her give Bob a wait then a get it before he gets his dinner and he's listened every time and DD feels like he's developing a better bond with her smile.

Bob has been in doggy daycare yesterday and today, last day tomorrow. He's loved it!

mistlethrush Thu 19-Dec-13 18:45:51

Tumour is benign!!! Woohoo. Thank goodness. Don't know how we would have coped after mistledog's end.

This thread is not accepting new messages.