Dogs fighting - what to do??

(7 Posts)
LimburgseVlaai Fri 29-Nov-13 16:34:12

We have two male flatcoats, one 2.5yo neutered, one 1.5yo not neutered. They are lovely dogs and they get on well. But occasionally they have a serious fight over a toy or similar that draws blood.

What to do? Should we have no2 neutered?

Thank you!

hellymelly Fri 29-Nov-13 16:37:33

I would, as usually it is better to leave the older dog intact if you are only doing one. It might not make a difference though, as the pattern is established, but it is worth it as it just might take the edge of aggression, as a neutered dog tends to get over assertive around an intact dog IME.

toboldlygo Fri 29-Nov-13 19:58:10

Do they have free access to toys?

LimburgseVlaai Mon 02-Dec-13 13:07:06

Sorry I deserted this thread after starting it - things suddenly got busy at home.

Turned out the older dog has a very deep puncture wound near his neck so had to take him to the vet - antibiotics etc. I spoke to the breeder who advised me a) to have the younger one neutered and b) to reassert who is boss by taking away their toys, eating before them etc. We also brought the dog cage back in for the younger one to sleep in.

All this has calmed the situation down. I am keeping a very close eye on the dogs to make sure I can jump in at the least sign of trouble but so far so good. I am also walking the younger one on a long lead for now because he was occasionally taking off without any warning and running for miles before coming back all lathered up (we live in deep countryside). Hope the assertiveness regime will also help control the running away.

Lilcamper Mon 02-Dec-13 13:32:20

Eating before them is actually very outdated advice. Also the neutering could make the problem worse. Definitely speak to someone from the APBC before taking such a permanent step.

In the mean time, management is essential. If they fight over certain toys, don't allow them access to them, if it is over food, feed them in separate rooms.

MonkeysInTheFog Mon 02-Dec-13 15:59:02

What Lilcamper said.

Dirtybadger Mon 02-Dec-13 16:13:07

Also what lilcamper said.

Crap advice from breeder I'm afraid sad

Do some research before deciding upon neutering, also. Check out when the best time is (in terms of development) and also cross check if the cancers that neutered dogs are at increased risk of developing, are also the cancer(s) that flatcoats are at increased risk of. A behaviourist (from APBC as lilcamper suggested) will be able to tell you what significant behavioural changes can occur because of neutering but from my understanding flat coats are also at risk of certain types of cancer which may be a relevant consideration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now