10 week puppy - lethargic, vomiting and watery diarrhoea - vet not too bothered but I am.

(11 Posts)
kissmyheathenass Thu 28-Nov-13 20:55:26

We have had our puppy a week, she is 10 weeks old. Yesterday she had very runny poo - all over carpets several times, then she vomited bile. She was also completely off her food and lethargic. I took her to the vets last night and he said not to worry - it could be a number of things but not anything dangerous. She is no better today - lots of watery explosions all over the place and the only food she has eaten (scrambled egg) came back up.

Has anyone had similar and can reassure me she will be ok? Don't want to go back to vets again tonight as she hasn't actually deteriorated.

Puttnig dcs to bed now, will be back.

Jaskla Thu 28-Nov-13 21:01:44

One of my dogs had something similar when he was a puppy. I rang the vet as I was really worried and they told me to see how he was in 24 hours and just to make sure he was drinking.

Sorry tmi, but the diarrhoea was so bad it was as if it was coming out of a hosepipe and he was whining and lethargic.

If he seemed hungry the vet said to try chicken, plain pasta/rice or scrambled eggs.

He was fine a couple of days later but I had worried myself sick by reading up on all sorts of things online.

Just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get any worse and hopefully she'll be fine tomorrow.

kissmyheathenass Thu 28-Nov-13 21:23:21

Hi Jaskla, thanks for the reassurance. She is drinking a little water but apart from scrambled egg, she has eaten nothing for 2 days. I have tried vets recommendations - chicken, rice, pasta etc but she just isn't interested and I am really worried. Your experience is very reassuring though.

kissmyheathenass Thu 28-Nov-13 21:38:08

kissmyheathenass Thu 28-Nov-13 22:16:07

Also, she's not drinking anything at all. I have just tried some homemadd chicken stock but she turned away. How can I get her to drink?

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Thu 28-Nov-13 22:16:54

My sisters puppy was like this, it was Gastroenteritis, he just laid in bed constantly, not interested in anything, the only time he got up was to squirt poo or throw up bile. He spent a week in the vets, recovered well and is now a healthy 7yo.

kissmyheathenass Thu 28-Nov-13 22:41:54

thaks for reply

going to emergency vet

Hows things? Have they tested for Giardia? I have heard of a few cases where the puppy has started with those symptoms soon after arriving home and it turned out to be that.

Whatever it is I hope things are getting better.

WhenSantaGotStuckUpACunnyFunt Fri 29-Nov-13 08:09:53

Good luck x

minkersmum Fri 29-Nov-13 10:46:11

Hope everything ok.

Poor pup. I would have gone to emergency vet too.

SnakeyMcBadass Fri 29-Nov-13 11:05:35

How is he?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now