Neighbousr dog being kept in outside pen

(22 Posts)
Ephiny Thu 05-Dec-13 19:50:42

I agree there's nothing inherently wrong about a dog sleeping outdoors, however keeping a dog locked in the garden on its own all day and night is a different matter. Most dogs are going to get bored and lonely in that situation, and start howling or trying to escape or other problem behaviours.

You could try RSPCA but as long as the dog has food/water and shelter, they probably won't be interested. You might get more of a response from your local council if you complain about the noise, though they're not necessarily going to be helpful from an animal welfare point of view.

DandyDindie Thu 05-Dec-13 17:59:46

Dogs are social animals and have evoked to live socially. Forcing a pet dog to live in isolation away from its 'family' is incredibly stressful. Working dogs are usually group housed. This dog is howling because its isolated, bored and distressed. The owners are not meeting their duty of care under the animal welfare act. The PDSA has some good resources on dog needs https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advice/pdsa-animal-wellbeing-report Perhaps you could post a copy through the letterbox ;-)

bellasuewow Fri 29-Nov-13 23:33:36

If a working dog fine to be outside. The howling is antisocial behavior from your neighbours. I would speak and write to them send a nice letter that is respectful not rants so you can show the council if you have to take it further good luck it sounds like a nightmare for you.

It will be anonymous.

Tiredemma Thu 28-Nov-13 15:26:43

My working cocker spaniel is currently curled up under a blanket on the sofa.

At night she is in the utility room, with a little heater on and under a blanket. She is a bit spoilt I think.

Blossomflowers Thu 28-Nov-13 15:22:39

Again thanks for the comments, I will contact the RSPCA I hope it is anon as it could cause big problems, the owner is a bit strange and known to be aggressive. I can't for one moment think this poor animal will have a nice insulated place to sleep. I think it is bored and lonely, one thing I do know is they like company.

LST Thu 28-Nov-13 13:15:59

Nothing wrong with it if the dog is well looked after.

But I can tell you now my working stock border collie would not make a good outdoor dog grin

bellablot Thu 28-Nov-13 13:02:25

Aren't dogs meant to be kept outside, working ones anyway so no not cruel at all. The problem I would have is the howling noon and night.

LEMisafucker Thu 28-Nov-13 09:29:22

See, i don't buy the whole dogs don't feel the cold argument, not judging by the fact that every dog i have ever owned tries to climb into the fire when we have it one in the evenings. I don't have a problem with working breeds of dogs living out but they need adequate shelter and for me that would mean some form of heating.

Our collie x lives outside in a straw bed in a shed. Its not cruel. Dogs have fur for a reason.

The howling however, would make me think the dog is not happy. Ours has the run of the garden and gets regular walks and time in the house with us. He barks if someone walks past the back gate (an access alleyway so not regular) but if he was howling I would be concerned. I haven't ever heard him howl.

RSPCA will check general things, we did have an inspector comment on our doings (very happy and settled) behaviour, so I think they do take into account how a dog acts, but I am not sure what would indicate distress to them. Its worth phoning them anyway. And your local council regarding the noise.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 28-Nov-13 09:09:12

I think it's fine to keep outdoor dogs.The kennel may have good bedding and insulation.

I think it would be cruel to consign a previously indoors dog to outdoors,though.

WaitingForMe Thu 28-Nov-13 09:05:26

We had outdoor dogs on the farm I grew up on but they lived together which kept them war

BitOutOfPractice Thu 28-Nov-13 09:03:55

In these exact same circumstances when I phoned the RSPCA they were not interested.

WhyDoTheyDoThat Thu 28-Nov-13 08:58:37

In law

WhyDoTheyDoThat Thu 28-Nov-13 08:56:27

Keeping it outside isn't in itself cruel. However if it's kept in a pen all day with no exercise or stimulation then that is cruel and I would call the RSPCA. Any unsocialized dog is a potential danger. Collies are highly intelligent dogs bred for working, if kept as pets they need a lot of stimulation and exercise.
Council for the noise definitely, no one should have to listen to a howling dog day and night.
I'm law animals have the right to be free from pain and mental distress. It sounds like this dogs living conditions are causing it distress, this is what you need to mention to the RSPCA.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 28-Nov-13 08:39:44

RSPCA will not want to know. Noise people (can't remember their proper title) at your council will.

Blossomflowers Thu 28-Nov-13 08:35:29

OK so that makes me feel better that it is "OK" for a dog outside but it seems so unhappy, just constantly howling, I find quite distressing, poor thing. I think it is because it is alone. Just want it to stop, I spoke to the mother but it is her sons dog and he is not worth trying to talk to. So I suppose going to RSPCA a waste of time then?

madwomanintheatt1c Thu 28-Nov-13 02:31:00

Actually, this made me laugh as I was talking to a colleague today about the local sledding kennels. She was regaling me with what it was like to live next door to three sled dog companies, each with between 150-400 dogs. And trying to explain the noise. And trying to explain what happened if you tried to take the dogs 'indoors'.

I'm glad we just have a few in our street grin not nearly a thousand!!

madwomanintheatt1c Thu 28-Nov-13 02:28:30

Howling problematic. Outside not.

We have tons of outdoor dogs here (working dogs) and it doesn't get above freezing for about 6 months.

The howling would piss me off though. Contact whoever does your local neighbourhood noise complaints.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 28-Nov-13 02:21:44

In My Day it was perfectly normal to keep "working breed" dogs like collies and labs in unheated kennels, they grow a winter coat. Actually, thinking of my friend's ds, who is a gamekeeper, his dogs live outdoors too. The howling would be more of an issue for me.

Mogz Thu 28-Nov-13 02:05:18

If it has food, water and shelter I don't think you can do much as they've covered it's basic welfare needs. You could try speaking to her again or submit a noise complaint to your council, see if their involvement gives the neighbour impetus to change things.

Blossomflowers Wed 27-Nov-13 17:30:01

Would like some opinions on this. Our neighbour got a Border Collie in the Summer and since then it has been howling morning noon and night. They keep in an unheated outside kennel. Despite having to listen to the noise which is upsetting and annoying, now the weather has turned cold I feel it is damm right cruel. I am I right? should I say do anything. I did try an broach the subject in the summer and said the dog seemed pretty upset but she did not seem concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now