Muzzle for scavanger?

(10 Posts)
binger Thu 05-Dec-13 22:45:50

Thanks for tip death.

She's all recovered thankfully. Haven't actually bought one as I was reading about SCI and I think it could well have been that rather than her greedy ways as she really was ill this time and that's just not like her.

DeathByLaundry Thu 28-Nov-13 18:41:31

Make sure you spend plenty time training before trying it on a walk. Smear the inside with cream cheese or pate first ;)

Hope she's feeling all better soon smile

binger Wed 27-Nov-13 21:51:44

Thanks folks, am going to buy one smile

VivaLeBeaver Wed 27-Nov-13 19:24:20

Do you know I think its a good idea. My dog eats other dog poo, think I might start putting his basket muzzle on for walks!

tabulahrasa Wed 27-Nov-13 19:17:58

He gets sand on it at the beach, sometimes a bit of mud if it's wet...but no, he manages to sniff without getting it filthy.

binger Wed 27-Nov-13 18:58:49

Thanks, she's really perked up after Zantac injection and is now eating. The only concern I have with the muzzle is (and sorry this is disgusting) will it get covered in poo? She is a real poo sniffer and likes to get her nose up close, but thankfully not touching. The muzzle will obviously be longer than her nose and could end up in it, don't know if I could handle that.

tabulahrasa Wed 27-Nov-13 17:21:49

Oh and as a warning...my dog can get some things through his muzzle, I think it would be worth trying as it would slow her down possibly enough that you can intervene.

But, last night he found a glove and managed to get the end of it...he proudly carried it half a mile home, lol...so anything soft that could fit through it you'll still need to watch for especially, but it would take her longer.

Hope she feels better soon.

binger Wed 27-Nov-13 16:35:34

Thank you. That sounds positive I might just go for it. Have to take her back to vet soon as she's still really unwell.

tabulahrasa Wed 27-Nov-13 08:58:54

Mine wears a muzzle ( not for that reason) and people don't really ask what it's for - they do just keep their dogs away...which actually I prefer anyway. It stops the people who don't usually bother controlling their dogs letting them run over and anyone where I do care about their opinion I'd explain properly to anyway.

It took a few days to train him to wear it, but yes he wears it quite happily, he gets excited when he sees it just like his lead. video on training

I use a Baskerville ultra.

binger Wed 27-Nov-13 08:31:57

My poor girl is very sick just now after eating something on a walk. I didn't notice her gobbling anything down as I assume it happened early yesterday morning when it was dark. She has a bad habit of wolfing things down and you don't get the chance to get her to drop it.

She was so sick yesterday and still not interested in food today. She has been seen by vet but I might take her back this afternoon.

So, does anyone else use a muzzle for this reason? Do you get bad reactions from other dog owners thinking they are aggressive. Is it easy to train them to tolerate it, can you recommend one?

She's a cocker if it matters.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now