What does a stroke look like in a dog?

(14 Posts)
MadOldFeminist Mon 25-Nov-13 22:13:46

Phew!!! so relieved. Nasty ear infection, her ear drum was apparently bulging, on antibiotics.

MadOldFeminist Sun 24-Nov-13 21:47:37

She is still very subdued, but has gone on all her walks willingly enough, and has eaten her 'sick dog diet' of poached chicken and rice quite happily. She is spending all her time in bed, and doing an awful lot of lip smacking, and standing with her head hanging almost to the floor, and doing a lot of head shaking, although she lifts it and comes as soon as I call her. I'm going to let her sleep upstairs in the bedroom with us tonight in case she needs us, and off to the vet as soon as it opens. I wondered if something is wrong with her ears that's affecting her balance, but she's got rubbing or scratching them. Argh, I hate not knowing how concerned I should be.
And why, like kids, do they wait till the weekend to get sick!

MrsDeVere Sun 24-Nov-13 09:22:45

mad my DD had epilepsy and the dog's seizures didn't look like hers at all. He was much more with it and didn't drop to the floor. He never wee'd himself (mind you, nor did DD).

I vaguely recall that poodles are prone to fits but I could be misremembering that factoid.

Try and video if your dog does it again. Much easier for the vet to tell.
We chose not to treat dog's epilepsy as it was so infrequent but strokes are very different I assume. They do more damage don't they?

MadOldFeminist Sun 24-Nov-13 09:18:02

Thanks Sister, I'm sorry to hear about your old boy, but it's very hopeful to hear he made such a good recovery from his stroke.

MadOldFeminist Sun 24-Nov-13 09:15:58

Well, funnily enough when it happened my husband and I both happened to be in the kitchen and it was him that noticed it first, and said 'is she having a fit?' I had assumed not as she didn't fall over, Her back legs stayed stable) she wasn't incontinent, didn't make any odd noises - none of the things humans do, basically - but I guess that might be an option given how worn out she seems today. (I'm a human nurse, but of course everything looks a bit different in animals!)

SisterMerror Sun 24-Nov-13 09:12:36

My dog had a stroke and the eye movement was just as Lonecat describes. He was also vomiting quite often, which our vet said was because his sense of balance was all wrong so it was a bit like having seasickness.

He was also very wobbly and walked like he was drunk, knocking against walls. Also his head was tilted to one side. The only other symptom was that he fell over a lot.

I took him straight to the vet who gave him some tablets (I can't remember the name of them) and said that dogs can and often do make a full recovery from this.

Within a day or two my dog was a lot better and within about 2 weeks he was pretty much back to normal. The speed at which he recovered really surprised me!

He then went on to live a normal and happy life until three weeks ago when I sadly had to have him PTS. This was unrelated to the stroke though and was due to other health problems caused by old age. He was 15.

I hope your poodle recovers as quickly as my old boy did thanks

MrsDeVere Sun 24-Nov-13 09:10:19

I had a terrier who had occasional seizures.
He was never medicated because he only had one or two a year and they didn't distress him.

Could your dog be having a seizure?

My dog didn't look like the stereotype of a human having a seizure. He would come and find me, look worried and then lean on me because he couldn't stand up, shake and wobble.

Afterwards he would be tired for a bit but otherwise fine.

MadOldFeminist Sun 24-Nov-13 08:57:25

Thanks, now you've mentioned it, she has been tilting her head a lot the last day or so, as my daughter remarked 'she keeps looking like she wants to ask you a question'.

She's been fine overnight, the lip smacking stopped about 2am, and I think I fell asleep properly about 4am, and sometime after that she'd taken advantage of being upstairs and hopped on the bed, which is fairly high, so she must have managed a fair jump. She's been happy enough to go for her morning walk, though she stayed right beside me even off lead and didn't do her usual mad chase the seagulls thing. As soon as we came home she went straight into her crate after and hasn't mooched while Ive been getting breakfast.

Her eyes seem ok now, and I didn't notice anything about them yesterday, though they get lost a bit in face-fluff the week before she goes to the groomers. She does seem very tired and subdued though. I'm going to keep her by me all day today, and she'll be at the vet first thing tomorrow, or if I see anything odd like her eyes going today, I'll be straight back on to emergency vet.

Now I think about it, she had very similar symptoms on Xmas eve last year, accompanied by terrible vomiting. She'd recovered her gait by the time we got her to the vet - I think we had to wait about two hours before she was seen - and the vet just kept saying she clearly had no injury, and didn't seem to get what I meant when I said she wasn't limping, it was more her legs giving out on her. She (the vet) put the vomiting down to the Atopica she'd prescribed for her skin, so she changed that to meldrone, and she has half a tablet of that plus two piriton a day.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 24-Nov-13 08:19:41

Eye movement called nystagmus either from side to side (most common) or up and down is most common sign. The eyes move slowly in one direction till gets to farthest direction flicks across in other direction and then starts again.
Head tilt is also common and then staggering ataxia.
I would see a patient with any of these symptoms out of hours.

Flapdoodles Sun 24-Nov-13 00:08:22

Our dog had a stroke (2 years ago) and we realised when she was staggering around, as if she was drunk. She was also slightly tilting her head to one side. I took her to the vets who pointed out her eyes were moving (sorry cannot think of the correct term for this) which was making her dizzy hence the staggering and diagnosed a stroke. She had some medication and whilst she is not 100% she is much better and, fingers crossed, has not had another stroke that we are aware of. HTH.

MadOldFeminist Sat 23-Nov-13 23:57:21

I have smile. It didn't really help. I suspect I am going to end up just dozing all night.

TeamSouthfields Sat 23-Nov-13 23:55:24

Google it

TeamSouthfields Sat 23-Nov-13 23:55:11

Google it

MadOldFeminist Sat 23-Nov-13 23:48:50

Our 6 year old poodle was eating her dinner tonight and it was as if her front legs just buckled underneath her all of a sudden. She got up and one just gave way again. I picked her up and checked her over and she seemed ok, just subdued. She def wasn't limping, more staggering if that difference makes sense. When I put her back down she didn't finish her dinner, and went and lay in her bed looking a bit dazed. I called the emergency vet service, and they said to 'keep an eye on her' and take her to our own vet on a monday if we were worried or it happened again. She's seemed ok all evening, was happy enough to go for her late night walk, gait seemed fine, but something about her just seems 'off' somehow. I've brought her bed upstairs so I'll hear her if she gets distressed but Im feeling stupidly worried about going to sleep sad. She's lying quite calmly in her bed but she is constantly smacking her lips and working her mouth. I'm sort of wishing there was an A&E service for dogs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now