What to get for a new dog

(18 Posts)
MTBMummy Mon 09-Dec-13 15:57:09

Sorry Lady have just uploaded one taken on our walk in the woods this weekend

Pup is well settled in and growing at an alarming pace - we're already on our second harness for him

LadyTurmoil Thu 28-Nov-13 17:24:58

MTBMummy - you've forgotten the most important thing - put some photos on your profile!! We'd love to see your new puppy smile

MTBMummy Thu 28-Nov-13 16:23:32

Thank you all so much for all your advice and adding to my shopping list

I just wanted to pop on and say it really has been useful and pup has now been with us for almost 2 weeks and already feels like he's part of the family.

chocolate140 Sat 09-Nov-13 10:22:20

car seatbelt is a v good idea
BONES! lots of bones! my 18month old labradoodle gets through them like there's no tomorrow.
a dog tag for his collar? mine has walked out of the front door a few times and we only got him back because someone found him and called us up because we had our number on his tag. I wouldn't recommend putting his name on the tag though because people have been know to pick up dogs from the street and start calling them by their name, making the dog think that they are safe, better to put your surname instead smile

One thing to think about that hasn't been mentioned unless I missed it is safety for car travel. There are various options depending on your vehicle, size of dog etc. these can include a system for attaching your dog's harness to a seat belt, through to crates in the boot. Various options - and difficult to generalise, so just make sure it's something you think about.

Collars and leads have a vital safety function, especially with a pup and when they are learning recall/loose lead walking, so check for quality, heavy duty metalwork, loose stitching etc. I am incredibly careful where we buy ours as a cheap collar breaking under strain can lead to tragedy. It's also worth having a spare.

In the car, we keep a spare towel and a fleece for after walks, plus a spare lead in case of emergency. Also baby wipes, spare poo bags (you will end up with these in every handbag and coat you own), hand sanitiser gel, and spare doggy training treats.

In your phone, add to the phone book the vet's number and the number of the local dog warden, plus any regular boarding kennel/dog walker you use. You should also make sure you have a good written description of your dog, plus good, clear accurate photos. You can preload a photo/description of your dog on to the Dogslost website. If he should ever escape (and this can happen to the most careful of owners) you can then upload immediately and within minutes, networks of volunteers will be sharing your dog's details, posters, etc.

34DD Fri 08-Nov-13 23:00:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Normal folding crates are portable enough. I had a dog health one from ebay and it folded easily.

I use nappy bags to clear the garden and poo bags on walks...nappy bags are see through and can look a little grim, you do sometimes end up carrying the full bag and I prefer not looking at the contents!

MTBMummy Fri 08-Nov-13 15:29:04

Great advice everyone thank you

I didn't think about having to measure him for a coat, I think we'll see how we get on with the walks and if he needs one

I've been reading Perfect Puppy, good to know others have read it too.

I knew I would forget things like towels and poo bags (Is there any difference between dog poo bags and nappy bags?)

haggisaggis - what made you choose a pen over a crate? I'm just curious as DP and I have had this conversation but neither of us have much knowledge on why one would be better than the other.

If we plan to travel with him, would it be worth getting one of those portable fabric crates, to use in a pen so it has his smell when we take him away on holiday with us?

LittleB Fri 08-Nov-13 14:48:21

Theres only a couple of things I'd add, plenty of poo bags and a few old towels - to rub all the mud and water off after their walks! Oh and spray for cleaning up those house training accidents, get a special pet one and use biological powder for washing any rugs/bedding with accidents as it will get rid of all traces and discourage them from going again there. My pups 5 mths now, lab X and lots of fun. Its worth finding about puppy training classes, they're lots of fun and really useful, and a good book (I like gwen baileys perfect puppy - recommended by my dog trainer). And book into vets - even if its had vaccinations at the centre its good to pop in to get them used to it, get them weighed for worming and flea treatment, and ours held a puppy party and gave us lots of lovely freebies too! Have fun!

Vibbe Fri 08-Nov-13 13:22:02

I'd wait with buying clothes for him until you know how he is dealing with the weather.

I have a long haired cocker spaniel, and we have a snow suit for her. Not because she gets cold or wet, but because she gets big balls of snow stuck in the fur on her legs - and then cannot walk. We took her to the pet shop and found a suit that fit her. Trying it on in the shop was quite helpful with regards to sizing and to see if it covered the bits that needed to be covered.

haggisaggis Fri 08-Nov-13 13:20:36

Have had our puppy 3 weeks now.

We bought - playpen (instead of a crate), 2 bowls, bed, blanket, toys ( a mixture of soft toys, rope toys and squeakies, kong), food (kept to same food as breeder), collar, lead (training lead), car harness.
For first 2 weeks he slept in a large cardboard box in our room and dog bed only used in his pen during the day. He's now out of the box and sleeps in his bed in our room.

MTBMummy Fri 08-Nov-13 13:15:32

Thanks all - we're getting him from a rescue, so we sadly won't be able to get any scents of his mum.

The food - sorry meant to remove the brand - was recommended by the rescue as that's what he's being fed at the moment

We were told that the foster who had him until he was 14 weeks had used a crate which he took to, so we figured it would be a good option

He's also not a small pup, he's 16 weeks, so I guess approaching adolescence, but is a good size, and the rescue have been walking him on a harness so suggested we follow their lead (excuse the pun)

He's an English pointer x Lurcher (we think) so although he has an undercoat it's not very thick, and he's so skinny I felt a coat or at least a waterproof would be a good idea, but happy to be told otherwise

I would only get a coat too if pup is a breed which particularly needs one like a greyhound. Most are fine without, might be better off waiting and seeing first?

Vibbe Fri 08-Nov-13 13:07:38

When we've had puppies, we haven't bothered buying an expensive bed or a crate to start with.
Instead we've found a (clean!) cardboard box without lid, and with high enough sides for the puppy to not be able to jump out.
We've had a blanket or a cheap pillow (ikea have good ones) in the box.
As puppies tend to bite everything, we haven't been keen on spending on something that would be ruined after a short time.

For food, I'd go for whatever the breeder/current owner feeds the dog. Changing the food quickly can cause some tummy upset - and that's not so nice having to deal with.

I got squeaky toys as they are great for distracting the puppy when it's biting stuff it's not supposed to. Also those little ropes with knots or small balls.

We haven't really bothered with brushing teeth on the dog. Instead we give treats like bones or rawhide treats made for cleaning the teeth (my vet sells them).

If you know people in the area with pets, ask them if they can recommend a vet.

We've always had small/medium dogs, and have always tried to get the smallest and lightest collar to start with. Same with leash.
We waited with a Flexiline until the dog was a bit older.

Depending on the dog, you might not need a jacket or other clothes.

When we got the puppy from the breeder, she gave us a toy that smelled of the puppy's mum. It was quite nice for the puppy. If you don't get that, consider bringing a blanket or small towel and ask the breeder to give the puppy's mum a good rub with it.

MTBMummy Fri 08-Nov-13 13:01:01

Thanks Lilcamper that's useful to know

Lilcamper Fri 08-Nov-13 12:57:32

I wouldn't bother with an extending lead at all but a house training line to start with.

MTBMummy Fri 08-Nov-13 12:51:05

Obviously will be calling Insurance and PetLog to get those sorted too

MTBMummy Fri 08-Nov-13 12:50:28

After a bit of a bumpy start we've finally been home checked and approved to get our lovely pup. We pick him up next Friday (we're away all next week otherwise I would have taken him home there and then) so we're going shopping this weekend so we have everything we need.

I've not owned a dog in 10 years, so I'm a bit rusty on what they need - please can you have a look at my shopping list and tell me if anything is really stupid or what I've forgotten?

Bed
Crate/Pen
Blankets
Food (Wellbelove puppy/junior)
Brush
Tooth Brush
Shampoo
Toothpaste
Lead
Harness
Collar
Tag
Extending lead
Toys (Kong/ Wheelie fun)
Treats
Coat/Jacket
Bowls and travel bowl

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now