Dog jacket - necessary or fashion item

(36 Posts)
MTBMummy Tue 29-Oct-13 12:17:31

So we're waiting on the final home check before hopefully getting a long wanted puppy, and I'm trying to draw up a shopping list of all we need, and I've drawn a blank when it comes to dog jackets.

I know some people scoff at the idea, and others say it's cruel to not get them, so for a 16 week old pup (pointer x) with quite short hair (think doberman type coat) but with a slim build, would you get a dog jacket and do you just go for something that is water proof, or something fleece based?

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 30-Oct-13 20:42:03

My single coated dog regards the coat as the work of the devil and refuses to wear either of them.

cathpip Wed 30-Oct-13 20:19:23

We have hotter dog fleeces for when our spaniels come in from a wet dog walk, they are not allowed past the utility till they are dry and its not very warm in there. They also wear them when they go in the outside kennel for the day if it is a particularly cold winters day.

I have a weimaraner (he's 15months old now) and despite not being especially thin coated, he really feels the cold and starts shivering as soon as the temp drops below 5 degrees. Fairy. If its raining he DEFINITELY has to wear his coat as well. Last winter I think he wore it from October - March.

He also wore a fleece (Equafleece/Hotter Dog -same company- are AMAZING) when it was really cold. He used to come to work with us and at 18 weeks old really struggled - our office is freezing so wore a fleece and a coat. His waterproof coat is an Outhwaites, doesn't slip, fits well and keeps him dry.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 30-Oct-13 17:42:22

Our smooth-haired standard dachshund doesn't have a thick coat (pretty much bald tum and gets seasonal alopecia in winter, weirdly) but the only time he ever seems cold is if we stop walking eg waiting at a bus-stop or stopping to admire the view at the top of a mountain in winter. He's got an Equifleece, which is warm and water-repellent - also good for keeping mud off his tum - easier to wash the fleece than the dog. They do a few breed-specific coats for dachsies and greyhounds etc so if you've got a dog that's hard to fit they're worth looking at.

everlong Wed 30-Oct-13 17:35:49

So do you think single coated dogs need a coat?

sweetkitty Wed 30-Oct-13 17:28:43

I'm thinking of getting one for my Rhodesian Ridgeback, she must have a single coat it's very short akin to a greyhound. She's built for the African plains not a cold damp Scottish winter. Haven't a clue about sizes and can't afford to get 2 really good quality ones as she growing so fast.

tulip27 Tue 29-Oct-13 21:57:26

We have a 15 week old pointer who needs a coat . He runs around like a mad thing for the whole walk but somehow looks like he is shivering at the same time .
He hates early 6 am walks ( too cold) and refuses to go out in the rain.
Off to buy him a coat tomorrow .

NCISaddict Tue 29-Oct-13 20:41:51

I think my Border Collie would be embarrassed to wear a coat but he is from working stock and his parents are the thick coated collie types. If I had a greyhound or staffie type bigger dog and only walked on the lead then I would consider it but only ever having had working breeds that are walked off lead I have never invested in one.
Puppies that are still? Where do I find one of these beasts? My 13 week old is only still when he's asleep, generally on the icy cold tiled hearth. Weird animal.

digerd Tue 29-Oct-13 20:21:49

I been googling for breeds with single coats - no undercoat- which could make them not so winter hard as the other dogs.
I have found only a few, but even then it depends of the thickness of the top coat . Here goes then:-
Yorkshire Terrier < did read that they are susceptible to the cold>
Papillons
Maltese
smooth coated chihuaha
Afghan hounds
Poodles - but their top coats are thick as curly.
Cavelier King Charles.

That's as far as I got. Pups do not not have their adult coat so are vulnerable to the cold especially when still.

TotallyBursar Tue 29-Oct-13 19:46:40

If we had better differentiated weather it would help.
In consistent areas where a crisp Autumn cools into a long cold winter you see a marked difference in the quality of coat growth.
We have long, wet, but mostly temperate months with some snow or colder temperatures.
We don't have it cold enough for long enough to equip them with the coat needed for a cold snap. They need to be cold when they're getting their winter coat, earlier in the year than it gets properly cold here. So from warm and toasty house out into rain at only a few degrees cooler (house at ? 18ish then outside at 14) then it's cold for a few weeks, then a bit warmer, then cold etc. They are warmer (usually around 38 - 38.5ish but there's a larger normal range) but the drop in temp for a wet dog post exercise still makes them cold, puppies might be colder still.
In the USA we had roasting summers and then freezing, snowy, winters - more than long enough to get a shaggy dog. Also the house insulation was crap so it was colder inside. Our house now will all warm up even if radiators are only on in certain places. Only our whippety thing needed a jacket. Here just isn't the same.

Shosha1 Tue 29-Oct-13 18:06:01

Our Staffies have them, but then Little dog is nude underneath smile

Plus if its raining she wont go out unless she has it on.

Big dog is more hairy and not so bothered.

mistlethrush Tue 29-Oct-13 18:04:02

The 3 Peaks one managed to survive my last dog - and is occasionally used on mistlehound too and doesn't look worn.

digerd Tue 29-Oct-13 17:52:01

In Germany we also had -18, but was a dry cold. No dogs wore coats. Most dogs have a double coat - a thick undercoat and a waterproof top coat. The coat is well oiled to help this insulation and should not be bathed in the winter.
A few breeds do not have much if any undercoat, mostly the toy breeds. It is the wet more than the cold that can be of concern, but while walking, running about they are fine.
A dog's blood temperature, despite the fur coat is 1 degree higher than humans - my vet told me.

NCISaddict Tue 29-Oct-13 16:16:30

I would worry that any coat mine wore would get caught up on branches etc as we always walk in woodland/common but if they're on the lead then that won't happen.

MTBMummy Tue 29-Oct-13 15:23:28

I think the main reason is some walks will be done with DD who at 4 isn't the fastest in the world, especially in bad weather, so it'll be useful to have it just in case, if I find he's getting too hot, I'll definitely ditch the coat

MTBMummy Tue 29-Oct-13 15:21:56

Thanks all - the 3 peaks ones look really good. I think it's definitely worth while just in case. Pup will definitely be a indoor dog, so I'm not expecting him to tough it out

My Border (born end july 12) had the 3 peaks coat for the start of the winter last year but that was it. He made his distaste for it known and never seemed cold despite keeping a short coat of his own.

I won't bother this year but I have packed in hand stripping for this winter. We are going feral!

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 29-Oct-13 14:53:57

I use a waterproof coat on the spaniel in really bad weather in a bid to keep my house more a dwelling and less a swamp. He doesn't really need one for warmth, but gets cold if he's wet (and tries to swim even if the water in question is frozen over). The cockerpoo has a proper coat that is both waterproof and warm. He has a poodle coat, and is less than 6kg, and if he gets wet he loses heat incredibly fast. He wears his coat much more than the spaniel.

Floralnomad Tue 29-Oct-13 14:45:29

I have my Patterdale clipped every 6/8 weeks for convenience so he has an Equafleece jumper and an Equafleece coat that he wears in the cold/wet ,even clipped I'm sure he'd be ok without them but TBH its much easier if he is not getting soaked all over 3 x a day in the winter .

DukeSilver Tue 29-Oct-13 14:44:34

Totally necessary for my pretty much bald greyhound grin He literally refused to walk in the rain with out it on (and sometimes with it on if he is being particularly annoying). The red bobble hat he also wears isn't really necessary, but it does look good grin.

NCISaddict Tue 29-Oct-13 14:42:06

I've had labs, Springers and border collies and I think they would all have got heatstroke if I put them in coats as they all rushed around like mad things. I think a pointer should be fine as they're bred for outdoor work unless you are going to make them stand around for hours in the cold.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Tue 29-Oct-13 14:36:47

Totally, that's really useful, thanks. I don't think ArseDog gets cold easily, but there are times in the winter when, after a walk, he might be in the car for an hour whilst I run errands, so I might well invest so as to keep my baby cost!

kaysee020 Tue 29-Oct-13 13:52:36

I have 2 dogs. One (Cairn terrier) never wears a coat as his fur is so thick, but the second one (Staffie X) does as he is short haired and feels the cold. I think it is down to the individual dog and his/her needs.

Tillypo Tue 29-Oct-13 13:47:04

I have three dogs and they all have the three peaks waterproof coats they have a lining so it also keeps them warm. I wouldn't go out without a coat in the cold and rain so don't take my dogs without theirs. I do agree that if dogs are kept outside that they are used to the weather but when they live inside with the heating on they should have coats on imo.

TotallyBursar Tue 29-Oct-13 13:31:15

If you have ever seen a dog kept outside you will see the difference in coat and good laying down of fat - even between heated/non heated sheds and kennels.

Most owners of pet dogs keep them inside a centrally heated house for 90 % of their time so they don't get the very dense thick coats they would otherwise have. Most heavily coated dogs that are kept in this country actually struggle in the summer and manage even cold winters very well if you ensure their skin is kept dry.
Short, medium or single coated dogs may need help to get through a cold winter in good condition - if exercised well then they will stay warm when out and moving but you will notice a marked drop in weight if you don't increase their food.
Most issues arise in the way we need to have them with us - periods of not belting about or waiting on a school run means they drop temp very quickly outside after running around and will get cold, particularly if they are wet.

We take our dogs in the car often to and from particular walks - the car doesn't get warm very quickly, they will get chilled and noticeably uncomfy if in the buff. So, we use a fleece lined jacket for the poorly coated spaniel and Dane (for joint protection mostly) and waterproof jackets for the better coated spaniel, Flatcoats and the Rotties/Staffies. We keep an eye on fat and this works well for us with a small increase in food. If I used fleece jackets for them all I would have overheating issues.

I think that novel condenses as - yeah, what you said blush. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now