Baring teeth on one side -weird or worrisome?

(5 Posts)
Scarlettsstars Wed 16-Oct-13 22:35:09

My golden retriever will raise his lip on one side of his muzzle when I stroke his cheek. Stroking the other side doesn't provoke a similar thing - it's like a lop sided sneer. I've been figuring its an autonomic nerve twitch - like when you manage to get their 'scratch g-spot' and the back leg starts waving involuntarily. He shows no signs of being upset about it, nor any signs of dominance/aggression. Should I be worried?

Scarlettsstars Wed 16-Oct-13 22:36:26

He's 4 by the way and has always done this, not to drip feed.

My mums dog has a nerve on both cheeks that will make him pull up that sides lip. It may be a nerve have a look at all his other body language signs though. x

cathpip Thu 17-Oct-13 12:55:53

I have had a lab and a cocker that can smile, looks very worrying for people who didn't know them.

Scarlettsstars Thu 17-Oct-13 19:27:35

Thanks Claire and Cath, I'm not worried about him but sometimes I wonder! It's impossible to imagine him being aggressive - he's a soft lump- but then suppose everyone says that so I was just looking to see if others have had similar with their dogs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now