AIBU to have dog envy :-(?

(20 Posts)

Just met my brother's new chocolate lab pup.
She's 8 weeks old, was picked up this morning and is just absolutely edible.

We are not currently in a position to consider a dog and just spending a couple of hours with her have convinced me that I want a young dog and not a puppy grin.

But OMG, she's gorgeous.
And gave us all the fright when she took one look at the garden pond (it's more of a puddle, 5ftx8ft), took a run and jumped right in shock. I don't know who got more of a shock: she, us or the goldfish...

And all my DSs are in lurve with her too... grin

HereComesHoneyBooBooDragon Wed 16-Oct-13 17:58:57

You have a houseful of small boys. You raise dogs exactly the same, lots of activity lots of love and a loud voice. Why not get a dog?

<<helpful>>

Labradors eat settees though

LegoAcupuncture Wed 16-Oct-13 18:00:19

I predict your brother will have a lot of offers for walking his new chocolate lab providing you avoid any water

YANBU

And I say that with my 8 week old labradoodle puppy sleeping on my lap grin

She's been here since Saturday and I'm thoroughly smitten grin

Do it!!

littlewhitebag Wed 16-Oct-13 18:14:16

My Labrador has never eaten a settee. She once chewed a rug and that was all. She doesn't always have great recall though. She is however beautiful and loyal and lots of fun. Go get a lab. Do it now!!!

ErrolTheDragon Wed 16-Oct-13 18:19:18

Ahhh.... you're right though about getting a young dog rather than a pup, we've done both and the former was much easier (but still gorgeous).

Bowlersarm Wed 16-Oct-13 18:25:58

YANBU

There is something very special about puppies.

Especially labrador puppies.

Although they are flipping hard work as well as being extraordinarily cute.

Aw, thanks for nobody telling me off smile.

My brother and I don't live in the same country, so I won't be able to see her at all regularly, never mind walk her sad.

And shut up about getting a dog: I am very actively not getting a dog until DS4 is a bit less insane more predictable. I have been spending hours and hours on rescue sites though over the last year or so.

Oh. And I will probably have to get rid of allergic DH first too... wink

HereComesHoneyBooBooDragon Wed 16-Oct-13 19:53:12

But puppies and toddlers are brilliant*, must be. I've done that twice.

* this is a lie. You of all people know I am batshit crazy.

Toddlers and puppies are brilliant - I'd cheer anybody on who'd be mad enough to do it grin. Not ME though. I am SO done with baby care, like you would not believe grin.

I'll just continue to live vicariously through The Doghouse and other people's pups. Much easier. For the time being...

out2lunch Wed 16-Oct-13 20:19:56

choc labs rock smile

did you smell his paws??

No, I didn't - should I have??

She has the most adorable short nose and round milk tummy with hardly any hairs on and HUGE paws... And she played with a ball in the garden and kept falling over just like a toddler <melts>

Then she came inside, flopped down and went to sleep. She snored grin.

out2lunch Wed 16-Oct-13 20:25:11

awwwwwwwwww so cute

yes you should - they smell amazing v chocolatey smile

LEMisdisappointed Wed 16-Oct-13 20:31:46

I have two dogs, i get dog envy practically every time i go for a walk - one day i will be the equivalent of a mad cat lady

Oooh, I could SO easily become a Mad Dog Lady, so, so easily.

There's a plan for my retirement grin.

grin @ chocolate smell

ChoudeBruxelles Wed 16-Oct-13 20:35:13

You're not mad. I want to get a puppy. I'm working on dh as he's vetoing it at the minute. Apparently two springers and two cats is enough. I want a German short haired pointer pup - massive cute ears

Well, if you have springers then you know how to deal with dogs bred for hunting grin - my uncle used to always have German shorthaired pointers. They were very much working dogs, kept in kennels, NOT family dogs. They were very intelligent, v eager to please, but us kids knew to leave them alone.

I've decided the ideal dog for us is a greyhound/whippet/possibly lurcher-type hound: the fact that they sleep 23 hrs a day appeals wink.
And no barking.
And little hair casting.

I know about no/poor recall and a strong prey drive, but will take my time to pick and choose. Friends who are vets have young sighthounds who were slightly injured before they even started their racing 'careers' brought to them to PTS shocksad. They don't oblige and find them homes. So maybe one of them... <whistful>

ErrolTheDragon Thu 17-Oct-13 08:09:04

My DD already has a long list of Dogs She Must Have One Day.

kilmuir Thu 17-Oct-13 08:12:07

Give it a few weeks and novelty will of worn off. Think chewed furniture/ shoes, poo and wee puddles...........
Does that help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now